Well Methodist Chapel stands on the northern
side of the lane, twenty metres (yards) west of the junction with Bedale
Road, in the village of Well, near Bedale in the Hambleton district of
North Yorkshire. The chapel was founded in 1849. It was still active in
2011 and had recently undergone renovation work. Nearby, there is a row
of almshouses and a small, unused attached chapel that was built about
1758, called St Michael's Cottages.
West Tanfield Methodist Church lies on the
eastern side of Mowbray Terrace, opposite Marmion Court in West
Tanfield. This chapel was opened by the Wesleyans in 1798, and
was regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners of 1866.
Although rather small in size, it has a fairly grandiose south-west
tower. There was also a Primitive Methodist chapel in West Tanfield,
which closed probably in 1932, and can no longer be located.
The Parish Church of St Nicholas West Tanfield
occupies a large plot on the western side of Burnt Lane, with Main
Street on the northern flank and Church Street and the River Ure to
the south, overlooked by the Marmion Tower. The church was built in
the twelfth century, and around 1350 a north aisle was added to the
nave. The three-stage tower was added in the fifteenth century, with
diagonal angle buttresses and an embattled parapet and moulded plinth.
The chancel was also extended to its present length
in the fifteenth century. The church underwent drastic restoration in
1859, which swept away much of the original building. The twelfth century
chancel arch was replaced. The building now consists of chancel, nave,
north aisle and chapel, west tower, north vestry, and south porch. There
are six bells in the tower. Three were cast in 1879, a fourth in 1685,
and a fifth and sixth in 1695, both of which were recast in 1873.
The Church of St Michael, Kirklington,
lies inside the western bend of Whitecross Hill, at the south-west
foot of the village. Originally the Church of St Michael the Archangel,
the building was an early thirteenth century construction, with frequent
additions. It was restored in the nineteenth century. The fabric is
rubblestone, with coursed squared stone and ashlar, and Welsh slate
roofs. The west tower was built in four stages with offset diagonal
Carthorpe Methodist Church sits in a small
plot on the southern side of the main street, close to the centre of
the village of Carthorpe. There was a small chapel at the eastern edge
of the village which had been converted into a cottage. Presumably an
Early English edifice, it was later demolished. There was also a Primitive
Methodist chapel, but its origins and fate are unknown. The Wesleyan
Methodist chapel remains open today.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Colin Hinson.