Jehovah Jireh Baptist Chapel stood on
Mason Street (and should not to be confused with the former Methodist
chapel of the same name at George Yard). The chapel was described as
a 'neat structure' erected in 1822. It was built by the Particular
Baptists, but was sold to the Methodist Association in 1837 and was
probably demolished soon after. By 2009 Mason Street had been cleared
for redevelopment, and any chance of locating the old site of the
chapel was lost.
Christ Church stood on the north-west corner
of John Street and Worship Street (now a car park). The church was
erected in 1822 as the first chapel of ease in Sculcoates. It was
built in white brick with stone dressings and arches, in the
Perpendicular style, with a west tower. It was later enlarged and
improved in appearance and gained a parish in 1866. Badly damaged by
bombing in 1941, services were held under the south gallery. The
building was demolished in 1962.
Elim Pentecostal Church stands on the
western side of Bourne Street, midway between Charterhouse Lane
and Mason Street. It is a relatively new, post-war construction.
St Philip's Church Sculcoates was nearby (otherwise known
as Trippett Church), on the Charlotte Street and Paradise
Row corner. It was erected in 1881-1882, and consecrated in 1885,
built in red brick and positioned north to south. It was damaged
during the war and later demolished.
St Paul Sculcoates is on the north-east corner
of Bridlington Avenue (formerly St Paul's Street) and Cannon Street. The
first church here was built in 1847 in the Early English style. Farther
up St Paul's Street was the temporary Church of St Clement, a
wooden building open in 1879-1937. The steeple of St Paul's was demolished
in 1958, and the church closed in 1974. The building was demolished in
1976. The present building was erected on almost the same site.
New Life Christian Centre is at the south-east
corner of Charles Street and Bridlington Avenue. Assemblies of God
started in Fig Tree Gospel Mission Hall in 1939-1952, before moving
to this site. Charles Street Reformed Baptist Evangelising Church
was nearby in 1851, as were All Saints Margaret Street, consecrated
1869, demolished 1974, and the Church of St Silas, Barmston Street,
consecrated 1871, closed in 1967, and demolished after 1968.
St Charles Borromeo Catholic Church is on
the southern side of Albion Street (formerly Jarratt Street), opposite
Charles Street. The Gordon riots in 1780 resulted in the destruction of
Posterngate Catholic Chapel, on the site of the present Local
Marine Board offices, which was perhaps four years old. A new chapel
was eventually built in North Street, serving between 1799-1829, until
St Charles Borromeo was built. It attracted large attendances and
remains in use.
Friends Meeting House (Quakers) was on the
south-east corner of Baker Street and Percy Street between 1919-2007,
since let go. There was also a Mason Street Friends Meeting House,
a largish building erected in 1880, given up for Field Street in 1908.
Brethren were meeting on Baker Street in the New Room, in
1844-1848. The Free Church of England may have used it afterwards.
Christian Scientists met on Albion Street in 1906-1907, before
moving to Baker Street.
St Andrew's Presbyterian Church is on
the north-east corner of St Andrew's Street (formerly Prospect
Street) and Baker Street. The original Gothic building was erected
in 1866 and subsequently purchased by the Presbyterians. It was
destroyed in 1941 and the present building erected in 1960. The
church was closed in 1972, when the Presbyterians were united with
the Congregationalists. The building now serves as Hull Schools
Waltham Street Chapel on the street of the
same name was opened in 1815, designed by W Jenkins in the Classical
style (shown here). It was de-registered in 1933 and used for
administrative purposes. Damaged in the war, it was demolished and
the present Methodist Central Hall was erected on the same
site in 1960, on the upper western side of Waltham Street. The back
of the hall connects to the Hull Methodist Mission on King Edward
Street (see below).
Hull Methodist Mission is on the north-eastern
side of King Edward Street, opposite West Street. The back of the building
connects to Methodist Central Hall (see above), although this can only be
a recent development, post-1960, which is when the hall was built to replace
the war-damaged Waltham Street Chapel. The use of the building before its
Methodist connections is unknown, but it could have served as a bank, judging
by its flamboyant architectural style.