Last year our first donation drive was a complete success,
thanks to some wonderful people who helped us gain a security certificate and meet
some of the increasing web hosting costs. This year, that certificate needs to be
renewed and another round of hosting costs need to be supplimented. As the History
Files is a non-profit site it still needs your help. Please click anywhere inside
this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that we can continue to provide
highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. If every visitor
donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs in a day! Your support
is highly appreciated.
Target for 2019: £0£130
Gallery: Churches of East Yorkshire
by Peter Kessler, 6 February 2011
City of Kingston upon Hull Part 2: Churches of Central Hull
Humber Street Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1832
and opened on 5 April 1833, but towards the end of 1886 the congregation
had dwindled so much that a change of direction was required. The interior
was re-modelled for mission purposes, and the name changed to the Wesley
Hall. The hall worked hard in the cause of Temperance but was replaced
by Queen's Hall in 1905. The building served as an auction room but
was destroyed during the Second World War.
St Peter Drypool stood to the immediate east of
the old city centre, close to the modern Garrison Road. There was a church
in Drypool from 1226 which belonged to Swine Priory. It existed as
St Peter & St Paul Church from then until 1822, when the building
shown here was erected in its place. In 1878 it became a chapel of ease to
the newly-built St Andrew Drypool, Holderness Road (closed 1984,
demolished for housing). St Peter's was destroyed by bombing in 1941.
The Church of St Mary the Virgin Lowgate stands at
the south-east corner of Lowgate and Chapel Lane, very close to Holy Trinity.
Commonly known as Low Church, its earliest mention is found in the will
of William Skayl, made in 1327, which mentions it as "Capella b'e Virg'
Marie". It may have been new at the time, or was considerably enlarged,
and was licensed by Archbishop Melton in 1333. It seems originally to have
been a chapel of ease to the parish of North Ferriby.
Around 1447 the church was greatly enlarged but in 1518
the west end of the church collapsed (sometimes attributed to Henry VIII
partially demolishing it to improve his view from the manor house opposite).
Only the chancel survived. In 1588 the ruined building was rebuilt and
enlarged, and the present tower was added in 1696. The foundations of the
old church were found to run across the street and under the manor walls,
showing how much larger it had once been.
George Yard Wesleyan Chapel lay between the High
Street and Lowgate, nearly opposite the Town Hall. Wesleyans first met in
part of the Suffolk Palace tower, in Manor Alley. When this tower was removed,
a chapel was erected close by in 1771, named Jehovah Jireh Chapel (not
to be confused with the later Baptist chapel of the same name). The small
chapel was replaced by George Yard Chapel in 1786, but this in turn was
replaced by Queen's Hall (above) in 1905.
George Street Baptist Chapel, on that street, was
erected in 1796. The front was stuccoed, and contained two doors and four
windows in the lower story, and six in the upper. The interior was galleried
on three sides and was 'neatly pewed', well lit, and had an organ. Members
seceded to Nile Street Chapel in 1845 and then South Street Chapel
in 1847 (closed 1903). George Street passed to the Primitive Methodists but
probably ceased at the Methodist union.
All photos and prints on this page kindly
Colin Hinson. Prints from A Picture of Hull by John Greenwood,