Salt End Primitive Methodist Chapel stood
on the northern side of Hull Road, to the immediate east of what is
now the access road into the Hull STW sewage disposal service
grounds, and around a hundred and ten metres north of Hull Road.
Non-existent in 1891, but in place by 1910, the chapel disappeared
between 1946 and 1951. It was probably a temporary structure, either
a 'tin tabernacle' type or of wood. Today the location smells a good
deal less fragrant.
All Saints Church, Preston, is at the
north-east corner of the Main Street and Kirk Road junction at the
north end of the town. A church existed here for Domesday in 1086.
The present stone structure dates mainly to the 1200s rebuild and
expansion, which included a chancel with north aisle, nave, north
and south aisles, and massive west tower with pinnacles and three
bells. The chancel was rebuilt in 1870, and the rest of the church
was thoroughly restored in 1882.
Preston Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is at
the south-west corner of the Station Road and Staithes Road
junction. The first chapel in town was built in 1814, on the western
side of Main Street, about twenty-five metres south of the Abbey
Lane junction. It no longer exists. The present chapel was built on
this site between 1891-1914, complete with a Sunday school building
(to the right here). Following the Methodist union in 1932 it became
Preston Methodist Church.
Preston Primitive Methodist Chapel sits
at the north-west corner of the School Road and Rectory Lane junction.
The original chapel was built in 1822, but a rebuild in 1867 by
architect J Wright (Hull) left it in its present condition. It
closed around 1955, probably due to falling post-war attendances and
the Methodist union of 1932. By 1990 the redundant chapel was
hosting a business by the name of North's Fisheries, while today it
is Grand Ruby, a Chinese take-away.
Holy Sepulchre Hospital, Hedon, once
stood on the western side of Preston Road, in grounds that lay
behind the row of detached houses seen here in what now seems to
be a paddock that belongs to Livers Farm. The hospital was for
lepers, founded in the reign of King John by Alan FitzOsbern. A
seal found here had the legend 'The seal of Master Simon, of the
House of the Blessed Virgin Mary' (see below). The hospital was
dissolved during the Reformation.
St Mary Magdalen's Old Church, Hedon,
stood on Magdalene Hill, with access perhaps by a now-lost footpath
outside the bend in the B1362 Magdalen Lane (shown here), about a
hundred metres east of Magdalen Park Care Home. This is probably
the 'Blessed Virgin Mary' mentioned in a find at nearby Holy
Sepulchre (above). The foundations were uncovered and removed about
1852 by the estate's owner. The burial ground was also cut through
in making a new ditch.