Hedon Baptist Chapel stands on the
southern side of Magdalen Gate (No 4), opposite the car park at
the back of the King's Head pub. The chapel was erected in 1801
by the Baptists, but it would seem that all of the town's
congregations were formed here. The Baptists left in 1812, replaced
by the Wesleyans. They moved to Baxtergate Chapel in 1818, and the
Primitive Methodists took over until 1873. Then the Baptists
returned until 1910, when the British Legion took over.
Hedon Methodist Church sits at the
north-east corner of the Church Road and New Road (Hull Road)
junction. Wesleyans in Hedon started meeting at what had been
the Baptist Chapel (see above), between 1812-1818. Then they
built their Baxtergate chapel, remaining there it was demolished
following a 1917 Zeppelin raid. The present site was purchased
and a new chapel built. That building became the hall in 1978
when the present church was added in front of it.
Christian Life Church (Hedon Pentecostal)
meets in The Alexandra Hall, on the eastern side of St Augustine's
Gate and flanked to the north (on the left here) by the three
hundred year-old town hall. Alexandra Hall is a multi-purpose venue
that was built in 1983, opening on 6 August. Its official opening -
and naming - took place during a visit by Princess Alexandra in
1986. Today it hosts nearly all the major public events in Hedon,
including meetings by various groups.
St James' Old Church, Hedon, once stood on
the north flank of the later Lambert House (shown here), on the
western side of Sheriff Highway, at a point that was level with the
westernmost two buildings on the northern side of Lambert Park Road.
It was one of three of the town's former parish churches, although
two of them, and another chapel, all seem to have been demolished
around the time of the Reformation. Traces of St James remained in
place at the end of the 1800s.
Paull Primitive Methodist Chapel stands on
the east side of Main Street, at the apex of the Back Road junction,
and to the south-west of Hedon. It was built in 1871 and is shown on
later OS maps simply as 'chapel'. Between 1910-1927 it closed,
possibly in relation to events at the Wesleyan chapel (below). The
building still stands though - it was later converted into two
private houses. A plaque high on the frontage (above the tree)
confirms identity and age.
Paull Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is also
on the east side of Main Street, about a hundred and twenty metres
south of the Back Road junction. This small chapel was built in
1805. Curiously the 1910 25-inch OS map labels it disused, which
means it closed by 1908. Even more curiously it was re-opened and
restored in 1912, and perhaps absorbed the nearby Primitive
Methodist congregation to the latter's detriment (above). Today it
remains open as Paull Methodist Church.