The Church of St Andrew & St Mary,
Paull, is on the south side of Thorngumbold Road, at the south-eastern
edge of the village. Paull has possessed a church since 1155, but that
Norman building has been lost. It lay near to the village, on the
banks of the Humber but, as will be seen with other churches in this
region, the peninsula here is prone to sudden changes in coastline.
By the 1300s the church was 'almost entirely broken down and
inundated', soon before it was lost.
Work to build a new church began in 1355 and the
present building is the product of that work. It was damaged by
shots fired by vessels on the Humber when Hull was being besieged in
1643 during the English Civil War. It was repaired in 1663 and 1699,
with a Victorian refurbishment taking place in 1877-1979 under J T
Webster of Hedon, and a major modern refurbishment in 2009-2011.
There is a single bell marked 'James Harrison', founder, Barrow,
Thorngumbald Independent Chapel stood on
the southern side of Main Road, about thirty-five metres west of the
Beech Avenue turning, and behind the centre-two red brick houses in
the photo. It is shown on the OS 25-inch map of 1890 as Independent,
but by 1910 it had become Thorngumbald Primitive Methodist
Chapel, possibly due to evolving beliefs or a failure of the
earlier mission. It survived at least until 1951 before closure and
Thorngumbald Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is
on the north side of Main Road, twenty metres to the east of the
Forge Court turning. It was built in 1904, maybe by former members
of the long-established Independent chapel further to the west (see
above). That chapel was undergoing its own process of change to
become Primitive Methodist, in opposition to the Wesleyans until
union in 1932. Today it is Thorngumbald Methodist Church &
St Mary the Virgin's Church, Thorngumbald,
is on the south-east corner of the Main Road and Church Lane
junction, with the graveyard between the building and Main Road.
This twelfth century edifice originally served as a chapel-of-ease
to St Andrew's Church in Paull (see above). Upper sections of the
walls were rebuilt by the 1600s, while the tower was rebuilt in
1758. Only the nave survives of the former chapel, with an added
bellcote where the tower once stood.
Ryhill Wesleyan Methodist Chapel stood on
the western side of Marsh Lane, with the entrance to Ryecroft Farm
on its southern flank. The chapel was erected in 1847. It was still
in use post-war but later closed and was demolished to be replaced
by the present private residence (shown at the far end of the street
here). Kelly's also mentions a Primitive Methodist chapel built in
1898, but no sign of this can be found on any OS map, so perhaps it
was a meeting that failed.