Last year our first donation drive was a complete success,
thanks to some wonderful people who helped us gain a security certificate and meet
some of the increasing web hosting costs. This year, that certificate needs to be
renewed and another round of hosting costs need to be supplimented. As the History
Files is a non-profit site it still needs your help. Please click anywhere inside
this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that we can continue to provide
highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. If every visitor
donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs in a day! Your support
is highly appreciated.
Target for 2019: £0£130
Gallery: Churches of East Yorkshire
by Peter Kessler, 17 April 2011
City of Kingston upon Hull Part 13: Churches of Marfleet
St Stephen's Catholic Church & Neighbourhood
Centre stands at the south-west corner of Annandale Road and Stonebridge
Avenue in Marfleet. The church was opened in 1966 as part of the Catholic
expansion from the centre of Hull. By 2010, two sisters who were living and
working on the marginalised estate in this area were supporting what had
become the small Catholic Faith Community of St Stephen's, which no longer
had a resident priest.
St Hilda's Community Church Marfleet is at
the north-east corner of Annandale Road and Ivybridge Walk in Marfleet.
The area is part of the Greatfield Estate, which is also the location of
Craven Park, home to Hull Kingston Rovers rugby team. The church was
dedicated in 1960 as a chapel of ease to the Marfleet parish church of
St Giles (see below). It was designed by H R Spencer and was built partly
from funds provided by the Humberside Appeal for Church Extension.
Early Marfleet belonged to a cell at Burstall in Holderness
which was part of the Abbey of St Martin D'Auchy, Aumale (SeineInférieure).
This included the parish church of St Giles (see below), which was a chapelry
of the parish church of Paull, a church which was given in 1115 by Stephen,
earl of Aumale, along with other Holderness churches, to St Martin D'Auchy.
In 1395 Marfleet, along with the other English possessions of St Martin's, was
granted to Kirkstall Abbey.
St Giles Parish Church of Marfleet sits at the
eastern end of Church Lane, off Marfleet Lane. The first church on this
village site was mentioned about 1217 as a chapel of ease to the parish
of Paull when it was endowed with an acre of meadow land by Adam de Marfleet.
Marfleet remained a chapel of ease to Paull at least until 1650, when it was
said to be 'fit to be made a parish'. By 1706 it was described as a parish
church. No details of the medieval church exist.
In 1793 work began to rebuild the church. The new
church, designed by George Pycock of Hull consisted of a nave with
Gothic windows and a cupola over the west gable. The church was in bad
shape in 1865, and was subsequently demolished after suffering severe
flooding. The present Geometric style church was built in 1883-1884,
designed by J T Webster of Hedon. It consists of a nave, with a portal
at the west end carried up into a bell turret, a chancel, and a vestry.
Five photos on this page kindly contributed by Colin