Bodmin Road Church is a modern building which
occupies an iron-fenced plot at the south-western corner of Padstow Close,
on the western side of Bodmin Road in northern Bransholme. The church
opened in November 1968, built as the first streets in Bransholme itself
were being built up. It was funded and built by members of Lee Smith
Street Gospel Mission, which had to be demolished when old housing on
Hedon Road was cleared. The church was renovated in 2008.
Bransholme Methodist Church is at the north-east
corner of Goodhart Road, overlooking a long car park to its south and
Littleham Close to the east in Bransholme. The church was formed around
1980 in a house on the estate, before moving to its present multi-purpose
building. It shares its minister with its sister church, Sutton Methodist
Church (below), although it is vastly different in terms of its
congregation size and mix, its buildings and the community it serves.
St Mary Queen of Martyrs Catholic Church
is on the southern side of Nidderdale where it meets Holwell Road
in Bransholme. It is the successor to the Catholic Church
of St Mary on Wilton Street (school chapel 1856, church 1890-1891
by Smith, Brodrick and Lowther). The new church was built in 1976 by
architect J Reid and the Wilton Street church was demolished in 1982.
The Convent of the Daughters of Charity lies nearby, at 36
Cosford Garth in Bransholme.
The Church of St James the Great Sutton lies
on the northern side of Church Street, overlooking College Street on its
eastern end in Sutton-on-Hull, to the east of Hull itself. The church was
first mentioned about 1160 when it was described as a dependent chapel of
Wawne church. It consists of chancel, modern vestry, nave with aisles of
four bays, engaged west tower, and south porch. The aisles and tower
are of fourteenth and fifteenth century brickwork.
In 1346 Sir John de Sutton founded a college at Sutton
and in the following year the chapel of Sutton was appropriated for the
purpose. It would seem that the church was rebuilt afterwards, and therefore
needed to be reconsecrated. It could be that the chancel was only 'modernised'
by the insertion of new windows and the building of buttresses to prevent bulging.
In 1552 there were two bells, and the three bells of 1795 were recast in 1890,
with three more being added.
Sutton Methodist Church stands at the south-west
corner of Church Street and Potterill Lane in Sutton-on-Hull. A Wesleyan
chapel was apparently built in Sutton about 1812, while the present church
replaced it on a different site in 1859 and still maintains much of its
original design and fittings, including a traditional high pulpit, balcony,
wooden pews and pipe organ. In 1970 gained a new church hall, and in the
1990s the 'old village school' at the rear was renovated.
St Mark's Church Sutton Ings stands on the
southern side of Bellfield Avenue, opposite Middlesex Road in Sutton
Ings. The original church was built in the manufacturing district known
as the 'Groves', part of Sutton. It was erected in 1843 in the Early
English style, in red brick with stone dressings. It was badly damaged
during the war, closed in 1948, and was demolished in 1958-1959. The
present 'economy' building is a modern recreation of the former
All photos on this page contributed by Colin Hinson.