The History Files is able to keep on doing what it does
thanks to some wonderful people who have helped to cover increasing web hosting
costs. This year, as the History Files is a non-profit site, it still needs your
help. Please click anywhere inside this box to make a small donation via PayPal
so that we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully
secure site. If every visitor donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running
costs in a day! Your support is highly appreciated.
Target for 2020: £0£250
Gallery: Churches of East Yorkshire
by Peter Kessler, 17 April 2011.
Updated 8 May 2020
City of Kingston upon Hull Part 9: Churches
of Sculcoates to Bransholme
Northern Cemetery Chapel lies well within
the cemetery grounds, on the western side of Chanterlands Avenue in
the Newland district of Hull. The chapel was built in 1912, in red
brick with ashlar dressings and gabled slate, with flat asphalt roofs
on the lower level. The interior has moulded cornices below round-arched
upper windows. At the front are three round arches with square piers,
and panelled oak benches throughout the building, which is Grade II
Bricknell Avenue Methodist Church lies on the
western side of Bricknell Avenue, about fifty metres north of Hotham Road
North. It was founded as a Sunday School in West Bulls Farm during 1940.
A room was put aside in the Farm for worship, and a temporary building was
opened in 1944. This was replaced by a school chapel in 1953, which was in
turn replaced by the present chapel in 1957. Also on the avenue was
Bricknell Avenue (Brethren), registered in 1965.
St Alban the Martyr Inglemire lies on the
eastern side of Hall Road, opposite Leyburn Avenue. A temporary
building was erected here in 1929, and a district, taken from the
parishes of Newland and Cottingham, was assigned in 1936. The first
section of a permanent church was erected in 1938, and this was rebuilt
and consecrated in 1956, funded by money ported from the demolished St
Peter Drypool. The brick building has a nave with aisles, chancel,
and west tower.
St Antony and Our Lady of Mercy Catholic
Church lies behind 'The Village' student accommodation block
on the western side of Beverley Road, with the Beverley and
Barmston Drain (watercourse) behind it. This striking construction
was built in 1965 as a replacement chapel for the students of
Endsleigh Teacher Training College, the original, smaller chapel
having been built in 1908. With the college having been merged,
in 1976 the chapel was handed over to the diocese.
Clowes Memorial Methodist Church occupies an
open plot on the south-west corner of Greenwood Avenue and First Avenue,
towards the north-western edge of the City of Hull. After meetings had
been held in a private house from 1942, the church members subsequently
moved to a school. Then, in 1947, the present site was secured and a
temporary building was opened. The current chapel building was
constructed and opened in 1957. It remains in fine condition today.
Endike Methodist Church lies on the northern
side of Endike Lane, about forty metres east of 31st Avenue. The church
also lies not far to the east of Clowes Memorial Methodist Church (see
above), with St Amblan the Martyr an equal distance to the south. The
neat red brick church with red tiled roof is in fact a hall, one which
was designed by Horth and Andrew of Hull, who also worked on the Sailors'
Home on Salthouse Lane in Hull. The church was opened in 1934.
The Catholic Church of the Holy Name of Jesus
lies in open ground at the south-eastern corner of Hall Road and
Courtpark Road in the district of Inglemire. The church was registered
in 1933 as one of a number of new Catholic places of worship following
the opening of St Charles Borromeo in 1829. The last mass was said here
on 2 November 2008, after which the church was closed. Its parish was
merged with that of the Church of Our Lady and St Anthony (above).
The Parish Church of St Michael & All Angels
Inglemire lies on the northern side of Orchard Park Road, midway
between 8th Avenue and Ellerburn Avenue. A temporary church was built
here in 1934, with a first floor chapel. A district, from the parishes
of Newland and Cottingham, was assigned in 1950, and the present church
was consecrated in 1958. The brick building was designed by F F Johnson,
with nave with narthex, west gallery, chancel and west tower.
Hull Orchard Park Evangelical Church (HOPE)
stands in a rather arid-looking site on the southern side of Hall Road,
wedged up against 8th Avenue on the other side in Inglemire. The church
is an independent, evangelical body. The building and its membership are
not mentioned as one of Hull's places of worship in 1969, suggesting
that both were founded some time after that date. The building style
appears to confirm this, although nothing further is known.
St Andrew's Church Bransholme is a very
modern building lying on the southern side of Grandale, with an
eastern exit onto Gorsedale in the Sutton Park district. The church
was probably built in the 1970s or 1980s, and certainly not before
1969. The dedication replaces the old St Andrew Drypool, while the
church was assigned a district within the parish of St James Sutton.
After a probable change to a group ministry, St Andrew will soon
become a parish church in its own right.