New Hope Baptist Church meets in the
comparatively new Exwick Community Centre, on the southern side
of Kinnerton Way, about sixty metres west of the roundabout that
connects to Lavender Road. Around 2017 the congregation left its
purpose-built Riverside Baptist Chapel on Lower Combe Street (see
links), and also the location's long history of worship. It
refounded itself under its present name and started meeting in
Exwick to cater for the people of this new estate.
The Church of St Andrew Exwick occupies
the north-east corner of the Station Road and St Andrew's Road
junction. This Victorian Gothic structure was erected in 1841,
consisting of chancel (towards the back of the building in this
photo), nave, and bell turret using the local Heavitree red stone.
Upon completion it was a slightly smaller building than it is today.
Consecrated by Bishop Philpotts on 26 September 1842, it was
extended in the 1870s to its present size and shape.
Inside it has two aisles that are separated by
three distinctive bays with clustered, polished marble columns.
These have free stone capitals, crowned with lilies and passion
flowers. The roof in both nave and northern aisle (on the far side
of the building) has open painted panels that are elaborately
decorated in blue and are studded with gilded bosses. On the south
side, below the chancel arch, is a carved oak eagle lectern while
the altar is of Painswick stone.
Exwick Community Church currently (2020)
meets in the parish hall next to St Andrew Exwick, on its eastern
flank. The River Exe and the main line railway to London Paddington
lie to its east. This congregation is independent, affiliated to the
Baptist Union since 1996. It is a daughter of St Thomas Baptist
Church which is located relatively close to its south (see links).
It is also a member of the South West Baptist Association and the
Baptist Union of Great Britain.
The Church of St Clement was located close
to the south-east corner of Old's View and Station Road, with the
site now occupied by these two sidings alongside the Paddington main
line, at the north end of Exeter St David's station. The small
medieval chapel here was built on swampy land next to the River Exe,
liable to flooding. It belonged to St Nicholas Priory (see links).
It still existed in 1537 when the priory was closed but, now
abandoned, was in ruins by 1571.
Exeter University Chapel stands at the
heart of the Streatham campus, south of the Queen's Building and
flanked to its own south by the Roborough Building and the Bill
Douglas Cinema Museum. It was consecrated on 26 June 1958. Formally
known as the Mary Harris Memorial Chapel of the Holy Trinity
or Mary Harris Chapel, it offers a contemporary and inspirational
space, designed by architect Dr E Vincent Harris OBE who presented
it to the university in memory of his mother.
The Old Gospel Hall stands on the
southern side of Edgerton Park Road, just thirty-files metres
or so east of the junction with Pennsylvania Road. It was
seemingly built before 1890 at the eastern edge of a cul-de-sac
on the southern side of Edgerton Park which opened out onto
Pennsylvania Road. Pennsylvania Christian Fellowship, a
Plymouth Brethren meeting, used the hall for many years. More
recently it has provided a home to Exeter Calvary
Exeter Vineyard Church sits at the
northern end of a broad alley which leads north from Prospect Park,
at the junction with Old Tiverton Road. Part of the Vineyard
Movement of churches (see links), Exeter Vineyard has been meeting
in the city since 1995, offering a relatively standard form of
service but in the relaxed, informal way of many Evangelical
churches in Britain. Exeter was also responsible for the extension
into Taunton in Somerset in the year 2000.
The Church of St James Stoke Hill sits
inside the south-east corner of the Prince Charles Road and Mount
Pleasant Road junction. It is not to be confused with the earliest
St James in Exeter which stood within the city walls (the 'old
church' - see links), built before 1190 but seemingly demolished by
1386-87. It is also not to be confused with that church's successor,
St James's Church Sidwell, which stood on St James' Road from 1836
until destroyed by bombing during the war.
This St James was built because the church
authorities were refused permission to demolish the old St Anne's
Chapel a short way to the south. Built in yellow brick, it was
dedicated in 1956. Its general design is traditional (east-facing,
with a sanctuary, chancel, and nave), carrying architectural
references to Santiago de Compostela, and with a general post-war
style of building. The interior is airy and is designed so that
natural light enhances its architectural features.
All photos on this page by P L Kessler.
Additional information from Discovering Exeter 1: St David's,
Joyce Greenaway (Exeter Civic Society, 1981), and from
Discovering Exeter 7: Lost Churches, Exeter Civic