The remains of St Katherine's Priory stand
on open ground (albeit walled), on the eastern side of an unnamed
lane which connects St Katherine's Road to the north with Chaucer
Grove to the south. St Katherine's was separated from the main
grounds of Polsloe Priory which lay along the northern side
of Monks Road by the later Exeter Junction. Largely built in the
1100s, following the Reformation the surviving domestic building was
for many years a farmhouse.
Beacon Heath Church is inside the
north-east corner of the King Arthur's Road and Galahad Close
junction. It was founded in 1961 as an Independent Evangelical
place of worship - the late twentieth century version of a Victorian
Gospel hall. The OS 25-inch compilation map of 1892-1914 shows this
entire area as open countryside, divided into fields, and close to
Devon & Exeter Reformatory (Boys). Even around 1946 barely a
start had been made on local construction.
Holy Trinity Church Centre is located
somewhat behind the south-east corner of the Beacon Heath and
Arena Park junction. Isca Church has the centre as an
administrative address while using St James School, next to The
Beacon centre a couple of hundred metres to the west on Beacon
Heath, for Sunday services. Isca Church took over The Beacon in
May 2015 to provide a community centre following the centre's
closure as a youth club due to funding cuts.
Whipton Chapel's old building is on the
south side of Whipton Village Road. George Alford of Whipton Barton
and his family attended 'Fore St Gospel Hall' in Exeter, possibly
New Bridge Street Pentecostal Chapel. From 1906 informal meetings
would also be held at Whipton Barton. These developed into a Sunday
school, Gospel meetings and, in 1931, the building of this chapel on
a site next to the village church (see below), so it became known as
Whipton Chapel's new building sits with
its back to the old chapel (see above), facing out over the northern
side of Pinhoe Road, around a hundred and twenty metres east of the
access road for Honeylands Specialist Children's Centre. In 1959 a
total of 135 were meeting in the now-cramped old chapel and a larger
building was clearly needed. It was decided that the new hall would
be built. This was opened on 26 May 1961. The Chapelfield Hall name
was dropped in 1964.
The Church of All Saints Whipton stands in
an open churchyard on grounds between the newer Pinhoe Road and the
original Whipton Village Road, about sixty-five metres west of the
Summer Lane junction. Now known as Whipton Community Hall, it was
built in 1896 as a chapel-of-ease to St Michael Heavitree. It was
closed and deconsecrated in the late 1970s, subsequently being
obtained by the local community for general functions and service
All photos on this page by P L Kessler.
Additional information from Discovering Exeter 4:
Pennsylvania, Hazel Harvey (Exeter Civic Society, 1984).