(Entry continued) The new burial ground was located
between Bartholomew Street West and the Roman and medieval city walls.
It later became known as Friernhay Burial Ground. In the late 1700s
properties on Bartholomew Street were rebuilt to reflect the area's
new-found affluence. A new church, Allhallows-on-the-Walls, was soon
built within the burial ground. At the same time Friernhay was already
full for burials, outlined by a serious cholera outbreak in 1832.
The new cemetery was created on a steeply-sloping
site immediately north of Friernhay Burial Ground, outside the city
walls. It was laid out to the design of Thomas Whitaker, surveyor to
the Exeter Improvement Commissioners. It was in use until 1874 when
it too was closed for new burials. Since then it has remained a public
area, with much of the space within the catacombs still unused. Many
of the monuments have been removed and the site has been landscaped.
St Edmund's Chapel stands alongside the
medieval bridge across the River Exe. Today the remains of both are
isolated in open ground between Western Way and Edmund Street on Exe
Island. Thanks to this location the church was also known as St
Edmund's on the Bridge and even the Chantry on the Bridge.
The image was hand-drawn in 1830 by the author of an 1835
article in The Gentleman's Magazine, when the church had
been considered for demolition.
Draining the mud bank formed Exe Island in the
1100s. A temporary chapel may have been erected as the 'chapel of
the bridge', mentioned for 1196. A stone chapel was built at a point
between 1233-1265, gaining a tower in 1448-1449. The medieval
chantry Chapel of St Mary on the Bridge stood almost opposite
until demolished in 1833, when St Edmund's was heavily rebuilt.
Damaged by fire in 1969, it was demolished in 1973 during clearance
work for the new bypass.
The former Exe Island Mission Hall stands
on the eastern side of Tudor Street, immediately north of the buildings
lining New Bridge Street. The doorway on New Bridge Street (see
below) leads directly to the hall via the staircase at the back.
The two-storey hall was built on the site of the Boys' Industrial
School in 1876 by the Ewing's Lane School and Mission Society.
The Exeter Bible and Domestic Mission made use of it in
their work. Today it serves for offices and retail space.
New Bridge Street Pentecostal Chapel
could be accessed from the western side of New Bridge Street,
opposite the stone balustrade in a gap between shops. The door
opens to a short corridor and staircase which connects to the
Exe Island Mission Hall (see above). In 2009 the hall served
as the Assemblies of God Church, while also retaining
its mission hall signage. That signage was gone by September
2009. Today the doorway bears no stated identity at all.
Fore Street Free Church was on Fore
Street (shown), but a precise location seems to be unavailable.
At the end of September 1844, following local unrest and even
riots, the Commercial Hall opened a 'Free Church' with James Shore
as the preacher. So says the official history. An 1844 directory
search finds nothing, unsurprisingly as it contained 1843's
information, but it has to be wondered whether this hall was in
fact Tucker's Hall. St James Free Church replaced it.
The Church of St Mary Steps stands on the
northern side of West Street, with Stepcote Hill (the 'Steps' of the
epithet which also provide the main access point) on its eastern
flank. The postcard shown here is an Oilette, published by Tuck in
the Exeter, with art by Henry B Wimbush. The location is
close to the former west gate, and the church was erected around
1150. Some round-arched Norman windows survive from this period,
while the rest was rebuilt in the 1400s.
It consists of a nave and chancel, with tower
added later, all in red Exeter sandstone. It suffered somewhat
during religious purges of the 1500s and 1600s. In September 1559
the tabernacle and thirteen pictures were removed and burned in St
Peter's Yard. In 1658 the church was sold off for private demolition,
only to be saved by its parishioners and returned to its proper
task. Restorations were carried out in 1870-1872 (from donations)
St Mary Magdalene's Chapel, Rack Street
stood on the east side of Rack Street, about twenty metres south
of the alignment of King Street and set back some metres from the
road. The chapel is marked on OS maps of the 1888-1914 period with
a public baths behind it (to its east). Today the former Preston
Street infants school shown here backed onto Rack Street, with
the church standing on the green edge of the post-war Western
Way for which Rack Street was demolished.
Seven photos on this page by P L Kessler, one
from the History Files collection, and one via Devon Live. Additional
information from Discovering Exeter 7: Lost Churches, Exeter
Civic Society, 1995, from Blind Devotion of the People, Robert
Whiting, from Ecclesiastical Antiquities in Devon, George Oliver,
and from Journal of the British Archaeological Association, 1862.