The Hospital of St Alexius was on Gandy
Street (formerly 'lane' and renamed St Lucie's Lane after the hospital).
Its location is uncertain so this photo is of the present building
at the north-west corner. Bishop Bronescombe's register notes the
hospital's foundation in 1170 but locates it 'behind St Nicholas'
Priory'. Jenkins corrects this to Gandy Street through the name
'Lucie' (a common abridgement of 'Alexius'). Around 1240 it was
combined with St John's Hospital.
Gandy Street Baptist Meeting was founded
by 1785, with its congregation using a building along Gandy Street
(formerly 'lane') which seems not to have been recorded at the time,
or has since been lost. The photo used here is of a suitable
stand-in building (of which there are many here), although there is
no suggestion that this was the actual location of the meeting.
Registers exist for 1786-1837 (under the name Zion Chapel) and
1785-1837 (simply under the title 'Baptist').
Providence Chapel is on the southern side
of the narrow Northernhay Street, about twenty-five metres west of
Queen Street. It was founded by Plymouth Brethren in 1839 when they
still had a strong presence in Exeter (they also had the Market Hall
Meeting very close by). Their split between Exclusive and Open may
have damaged strength and funds. This neo-Classical chapel had to be
sold to Bible Christians, with them taking possession on 9 March
Built by Sir Alexander Campbell (a known Plymouth
Brethren founder member), the original interior was described as
plain. In 1894 the chapel's footprint was extended west in the form
of the brown-brick (former) school shown here. In 1928 Elim
evangelists began meeting in Exeter, and later in the chapel itself
which soon became Elim Providence Chapel. Post-war this was
renamed by the same owners as The River Church and, in 2016,
North Gate Chapel is on the south
side of Northernhay Gate, with the city wall immediately behind
it and overlooking Exeter Central station. The chapel's name as
used here is speculative, but it is shown as a United Free Methodist
chapel on the OS 25-inch map of 1890. A Presbyterian meeting probably
started in 1656 - formally established in 1687. It met at or near
North Gate (possibly in the old gatehouse). For a time it was as
'United Dissenters', later as Presbyterians.
St David's Church sits at the south-west
corner of Queen's Terrace and Hele Road. The first church on this
site seems to have existed by the tenth century. It is mentioned
in an 1194 deed of Bishop Marshall as St David's Church, while the
ground on which it stood seems long to have been known as St David's
Dune. Probably rebuilt and expanded over time, it was described in
1805 as 'small and irregular'. It was taken down in 1813 and its
replacement is shown here.
The replacement, second church was erected in
1816 in a style that was clearly influenced by Wren's work in London
(see links). It was consecrated on 24 September 1817 by the bishop
of Exeter. It was considerably enlarged in 1839, but was demolished
in 1897 in favour of a fresh, third, church building. This version
was commissioned by the vicar, Rev C J Valpy French, and designed by
W D Caroe. It is built in limestone, with the same footprint as the
St Michael & All Angels Church, Mount
Dinham stands on the north-western side of the heights that
form Mount Dinham, at the junction with Dinham Crescent. The
church, a considerable building anyway, is highly visible from
much of Exeter thanks to its location on the northern side of
the Longbrook Valley. The land for it was donated by John
Dinham, philanthropist and builder of almshouses for the poor.
The church was built in his memory following his death in 1864.
The neo-Gothic Anglo-Catholic building is much
grander than the chapel planned by Dinham himself. Construction
was handled in 1865-1868 with blue Wesleigh stone with hamstone
dressings. It seats seven hundred. The spire is seventy metres high
and contains a single bell. The building was consecrated by Rev
John Medley, bishop of Fredericton in Canada, on 29 September 1868.
To begin with men and women were segregated, although this ended
after much criticism.
St Bartholomew's Cemetery has a main
entrance a few metres east of the junction between Exe Street
and Bartholomew Steps. By the early seventeenth century the
city's main burial ground, Cathedral Yard around Exeter Cathedral
(see links) had become overcrowded. In August 1637 a new burial
ground was consecrated by Bishop Hall. Originally known as
Bartholomew Yard, it had been the site of a medieval friary and
the chapel of St Mary & St Francis (continued).
Nine photos on this page by P L Kessler. Additional
information from Discovering Exeter 7, ECS, 1995, from
Historic Collections, Rev G Oliver, Exeter 1841, from
Jenkins's Civil And Ecclesiastical History Of The City Of Exeter...,
Alexander Jenkins (Sagwan Press, 2018), and from Nonconformity in
Exeter, 1650-1875, Allan Brockett.