Truro Cemetery Chapel occupies a long
strip along the southern side of St Clement's Hill, with the
cemetery chapel lying opposite the St Clement's Parc junction.
There was originally a very small church burial ground for St
Mary's Parish Church in Truro. A new cemetery at the borough's
northern extremity was consecrated on 15 July 1780, and expanded
in 1805. That no longer exists, and the current municipal burial
ground was opened in the nineteenth century.
St Andrew's Church Malpas overlooks Malpas
Road and the harbour at the peninsula's southern tip. Reverend Moore,
vicar of St Clement, built this small un-consecrated mission church
near Victoria Point in 1882. In 1894, his wife paid for a wooden hut
next to the church for use as a reading room (it still stands in
2017). The Malpas Village Hall Trust leased the site from the diocese
of Truro in 2013, and set up a brand new community venue there called
St Andrew's Hall.
Malpas United Methodist Church is about
sixty metres south of St Andrew's, on the seaward side of the road.
The chapel is described in Kelly's directory of Cornwall (1902) and
can be found on old maps of the area. It was seemingly still in use
in 1929. Now a luxurious home called Victoria Lodge, it was recently
available on the open market (2017). There was some suggestion in
Estate Agent literature that the property dates back to the
St Clement's Church lies on the inside
of the road as it turns north from this small hamlet to head to
Tresillian. The building is Grade 1 Listed and was enlarged during
the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, and then restored in
Victorian times. The pinnacle tower has pilasters and mouldings of
St Stephen granite. Built in three stages, the second stage is
dated 1326, during Edward II's reign. The tower carries a ring
of six bells, three of which are of medieval origin.
Shown here from the road approach, the church
tower and lych-gate are both visible. The restored lych-gate is an
interesting slate-faced building which, over the centuries, has had
many roles. For many generations it was the parish vestry room, where
rates were made and relief granted to the poor. Later it became the
village school. Between 1840-1872 the downstairs' room served as a
pig sty. The upstairs room has also been an artist's studio.
Tresillian Methodist Chapel is the first
of three church buildings in Tresillian. It lies on Fairfax Road,
visible from the northern side of the main A390 road immediately
prior to crossing Tresillian Bridge. This stone building is
characteristic of this part of Cornwall, and originally served as
Tresillian Wesleyan Chapel. Today, with the various divisions
of Methodism having reunited, it serves all the area's Methodists.
The building underwent significant refurbishment in 2009.
Holy Trinity Church comes next,
occupying a site immediately after crossing Tresillian Bridge,
on the eastern side of the road. This Gothic Revival church
was first built as a chapel-of-ease in 1878 thank to a growing
population overfilling the first chapel (possibly now the church
hall, below). It has since been rebuilt and the current structure
dates from 1904. Most of the fittings were all taken from the, by
then, virtually abandoned church of St Coan at nearby Merther.
Tresillian Church Hall is also on the
eastern side of Tresillian Bridge, next to Holy Trinity Church
itself (the track road on the right divides them). A chapel is
documented here in 1880, and there is also reference to a
Wesleyan chapel which may now be the Methodist chapel (see
above). The original chapel was too small so the current
chapel-of-ease was built (now Holy Trinity - see above). The
former chapel, the building shown here, is now the church hall.