History Files History Files
 
 

 

Modern Britain

Gallery: Churches of Berkshire

by Peter Kessler, 13 May 2020

Windsor & Maidenhead Part 1: Churches of Bisham, Windsor & Eton

All Saints Church, Bisham, Berkshire

All Saints Bisham stands on the east bank of the River Thames, accessed via a lane that connects to the junction between Marlow Road and Bisham Road. The existence of a church here was recorded in Domesday Book. That Saxon building was replaced by the twelfth century by - at least - the fine Norman tower seen here. Even there, the parapet, battlements, and brick quoins were added in the fifteenth century. The tower contains three bells that date from 1840.

All Saints Church, Bisham, Berkshire

The church has been considerably enlarged over the centuries. Lady Hoby (pronounced 'hobby') of neighbouring Bisham Abbey was responsible for the building of the church's Hoby chapel to house a magnificent tomb. Major changes took place in 1849. The church was rebuilt into the Decorated style, with the chancel being extended by three metres, and two roofs replacing the one flat span ceiling. Further alterations in 1856 saw the south aisle being rebuilt.

St George's Chapel Windsor Castle, Windsor, Berkshire

St George's Chapel Windsor Castle is inside the west end of the castle grounds, flanked to its west by Horseshoe Cloister, the castle walls, and Thames Street. It was Henry III's Chapel of St Edward the Confessor, built in the early 1200s. On 6 August 1348 Edward III founded the priestly College of St George here, the seat of his authority. St Edward's chapel was rededicated, and it still serves as home for the sovereign's principal order of chivalry, the Order of the Garter.

Eton College Chapel, Eton, Berkshire

Eton College Chapel is on the eastern side of the High Street, overlooking the Keats Lane junction and with its burial ground on its southern flank. That burial ground was the site of the old parish Church of the Assumption of the Virgin. This chapel replaced it after almost forty years of construction, so the old church was demolished about 1480. Today the chapel services retain their important position in the life of the college that Henry VI founded alongside his chapel.

Two photos on this page from the History Files Collection, and one each kindly contributed by Andy Mulhearn and Rachel Powell via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group.

 

 

     
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.