The Parish Church of St Nicholas of Myra, Strood
is on the northern side of the High Street, immediately east of the Gun
Lane junction. In 1193 Strood, on the western bank of the River Medway,
became a parish in its own right. There must have been a church here before
that date, as it was known to serve as a chapel of ease for All Saints
Frindsbury. It was run by the monks of Newark Hospital, and had its own
burial grounds. By 1552 there were four bells in the tower.
The old church was spacious, with nave, two isles,
a great chancel, and a tower steeple at the west end, but in 1818 this
and the uppermost tier of the tower were entirely rebuilt. In 1846-1850
parts of the church clock were stolen and a replacement purchased. In
1898 the tower was gutted by fire, destroying the three surviving bells.
These were replaced by ten tubular bells. Also on the High Street was
Zoar Chapel, opened 1796. No trace was to be found of it in 2010.
Strood Gospel Mission Church stands on the northern
corner of the junction between Wykeham Street and Martin Road. The mission
existed by 1906, and its Church Band was present when Lady Sharp of Maidstone
reopened Borstal Institute as Borstal Gospel Mission Church on 19 October 1929
(by 2009 this was Borstal Baptist Church). In 2010 some much-needed repairs
were carried out on the church, including the replacement of the floor, which
The Catholic Church of the English Martyrs Strood
occupies a large plot of land on the north-west corner of Frindsbury Road
and Mill Road. Strood's church, like that of Chatham, sprang from a little
mission at Old Brompton (Gillingham), where a small Catholic chapel was
built in 1798. Until 1863, when St Michael's Chatham, was built, this was
the only Catholic chapel in the Medway area. Nuns from St Chretienne in
France soon arrived to found a convent in Mill Road, Frindsbury.
In 1910 land was purchased for a future church in Hillside
Avenue. By 1919 the question of building the church began to take definite
shape. This was bought to a head by the return to France of the St Chretienne
nuns and Strood was threatened with the loss of its mass centre. The small
Hillside Avenue site was sold and the church was completed in 1922 on a new
site. In November 1962 the old church was demolished and the present church
erected, opening in 1964.
Peninsula Methodist Church is on the eastern side
of Cliffe Road (formerly Stonehorse Lane until 1892-1894), midway between
Cecil Avenue and Frindsbury Road. It was opened in 1887 as the Wesleyan
Methodist Jubilee Church Stonehorse Lane, but was sometimes also
referred to as Strood Methodist Church. It lost its burial ground
during a local improvements scheme of about 1905. The building was lent as
an auxiliary hospital during the First World War.