Last year our first donation drive was a complete success,
thanks to some wonderful people who helped us gain a security certificate and meet
some of the increasing web hosting costs. This year, that certificate needs to be
renewed and another round of hosting costs need to be supplimented. As the History
Files is a non-profit site it still needs your help. Please click anywhere inside
this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that we can continue to provide
highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. If every visitor
donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs in a day! Your support
is highly appreciated.
Rochester New Testament Church of God
stands behind a heavy tree-line on the western side of Vicarage
Road, opposite the entrance to St Mary's Road. The Anglican church
was constructed in 1868-1869 and dedicated to St Mary. St Mary's
Church was opened by Bishop Claughton in 1869. It gained its own
parish from part of those of St Nicholas Strood and All Saints
Frindsbury in 1896, but in the later twentieth century its parish
was merged with that of St Nicholas.
St Mary's Church was declared redundant in 1991,
towards the end of a long period of declining attendances which
increased rapidly after war. Its parish was absorbed by St Nicholas.
The building was sold soon afterwards to the New Testament Church of
God, a Pentecostal denomination which by 2010 had 115 churches across
the country. There was also a Strood Congregational Church on
St Mary's Road from 1880, but by 2010 this had completely disappeared.
Strood Evangelical Church is a surprise find
on the southern side of Darnley Road, midway between the junctions with
Cedar Road and Cuxton Road. The building which houses the church is part
of a row of shops from the fifties, and seems to have been a shop itself
until comparatively recently. A very rough-looking conversion has
been carried out on the building. The church is mostly likely to be
an offshoot of Waterford House Evangelical Free Church (see below).
St Justus Catholic Church Temple Farm
occupies the north-east corner of Clifton Close and Tamar Drive.
Strood become a separate Catholic parish at the same time as the
area was being greatly developed after the First World War. Several
factories were established resulting in a rapid increase in the
population. A large housing estate sprang up in the Temple Farm
area, and English Martyrs Catholic Church saw that St Justus was
built in 1950 to cater for the extra populace.
St Francis of Assisi appears to rise from
the very ground on the southern side of Galahad Avenue, midway between
Lancelot Avenue and Elaine Avenue. This is close to the highest point
of Strood, overlooking the mouth of the Medway. The church was opened
in 1941, for one of the new residential suburbs of Strood. By 2010
plans were being drawn up to reorder the building for community use,
which included the installation of new heating to make it more
Waterford House Evangelical Free Church
stands well back from the eastern side of Rede Court Road, just north
of the junction with Linwood Avenue and on the very edge of Strood,
overlooking open countryside. The date of construction of this
Evangelical church is not known but the style of the construction of
the building suggests that it was put up in the seventies. The style
of worship used in the church is historically known as Reformed, as
stated in official material.