The former Perry Wood Mission Room, near
Selling, stands on the east side of the Shepherds Hill Road, about
ninety metres north of the Baddlesmere road junction and on the
western flank of Perry Wood. With space for eighty, the building is
shown as a mission room on the OS 25-inch map of 1892-1914. It would
also seem to be the Sheldwich Mission Room mentioned in census
takings of the early 1900s. It is now the private (and secluded)
St Mary the Virgin, Selling, lies at the
top of Church Lane just after it crosses Vicarage Lane. It is the
grandest church in the Faversham area other than St Mary's Church
in Faversham. The earliest mention of a church on this site is in
1054 when it was granted to the abbey of St Augustine's Canterbury.
Domesday indicates a building here on the same alignment as the
present one, with a chancel, nave, and tower. By 1190 a larger
structure had replaced the original.
Of this building, the west wall, tower, and
chancel survive. The nave was rebuilt around 1300 and decorative
battlements and windows added around 1450. The monks of St
Augustine's were responsible for almost every architectural feature
seen today. In the late 1400s the tower was raised one storey higher
and was given additional support with arches in the perpendicular
style. Improvements were carried out in the 1840s and 1850s and
the south porch was added.
The Church of St Peter & St Paul,
Boughton-under-Blean is also referred to as Boughton Church
Farm. It stands on the west side of South Street, a short
way north-west of the Kit Hill junction on the way to South
Street, and some distance to the south-west of Boughton-under-Blean
itself. Largely built in the thirteenth century - with traces
suggesting the incorporation of an earlier building on the site
- it overlooks secluded farmland around the older village of
Built in flint and rubble with plain tiled roofs,
the south chapel was added to the church in the fourteenth century,
perhaps as an enlargement of a thirteenth century original, with
aisles and the three stage tower following in the 1500s. The rood
screen was added in the same century. The building was restored in
1871 by St Aubyn, but the church's distance from the main village
meant that St Barnabas was built there to provide local services
against Methodist competition.
Oversland Wesleyan Methodist Chapel stands
on the northern side of the junction between South Street and
Dunkirk Road, opposite the entrance to a lane that leads to Selling
Road. This is a short way south-east of St Peter & St Paul (see
above). The chapel was opened around 1875 as a satellite for the
main Wesleyan Methodist church in Boughton Street (see links). The
chapel building was converted for residential use around 1990 and
is now a private dwelling.
Five photos on this page kindly contributed by
Arthur Percival. Additional information by Arthur Percival.