History Files
 

We need your support

support

 

 

Churches of the British Isles

Gallery: Churches of Cornwall

by Jo Lewis, 13 August 2026

Caradon Part 20: Churches of Connon to Trevelmond

Connon Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Connon, Cornwall

Connon Wesleyan Reform Chapel in the village of the same name sits well to the north-west of Herodsfoot (see 'related links') and about a kilometre south-west of St Pinnock. The chapel is located on the south-western side of the main lane here, and within its own burial ground. The first local services were held in a barn with a minister who had been expelled from the Bible Christians and who was forbidden from attending the Bethel Bible Christian Chapel (see below).

Connon Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Connon, Cornwall

In defiance of the Bible Christians a Wesleyan Reform Union chapel was built in 1865 with attached schoolroom. Connon Chapel joined the Wesley Reform Union which had a Liskeard-centred circuit in the area. Together with other Wesleyan Reform circuit chapels, Connon joined the Methodists in Liskeard in 1959 to became Connon Methodist Church. The entire chapel structure was refurbished in 1894 and it remained open at least as far as 2026 within its burial ground.

Bethel Bible Christian Chapel, Connon, Cornwall

Bethel Bible Christian Chapel, Connon, is located within the fork in the road about half a kilometre north-west of the Wesleyan chapel (see above, built due to a church rift). Two gentlemen in the 1840s were concerned for the moral welfare of the locals so they pledged a chapel. Built before 1843, this was a simple structure with no Sunday school. Between 1907-1932 this became United Methodist chapel, then Bethel Methodist Church. Today it is a private dwelling.

Church of St Pinnock or St Pynnochus, St Pinnock, Cornwall

The Church of St Pinnock sits at the heart of the village of the same name, about a kilometre and-a-half north-east of Bethel Chapel (see above). Otherwise listed as the Church of St Pynnochus, this Grade 1 listed building dates to the 1300s, built in the Norman cruciform design. The west tower was rebuilt in the late 1300s and the nave in the 1400s. Towards the end of the 1400s the north transept was demolished and the south aisle erected with a four-bay arcade.

Church of St Pinnock or St Pynnochus, St Pinnock, Cornwall

The church was restored in a Victorian style between 1876 and 1882 (by Hine and Odgers) but managed to retain its earlier features, including a fine and unusual Norman font and a fifteenth century piscina. The church then closed for worship in 2017 and the building was sold. There was a plan by 2021 for its conversion into house. Following lengthy negotiations it is scheduled to be fully restored and converted into two private accommodations by 2045.

Trevelmond (First) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Trevelmond, Cornwall

Trevelmond (First) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel sat on the southern side of the road at Delmere Farm, on the northbound lane towards Caduscott, about thirty metres east of the Chynowyadh residence. It is shown only on pre-1880 maps, although HER records its existence. A new chapel had been built by 1907 in the centre of the village, together with a Sunday school (see 'related links'), and the original chapel was demolished. The site today is occupied by farm buildings.

One photo by Jo Lewis, two kindly contributed by Roy Reed via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group, and two copyright © Derek Harper and Roger Geach via Geograph, reused under a cc licence.

 

 

     
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.
 

 

Alibris: Books, Music, & Movies
Alibris: Books, Music, & Movies
Please help the History Files