Truro Gospel Chapel is on the
southern side of The Leats (which runs parallel and behind River
Street), approximately opposite the Tredegar Gardens path. The
modern Emmanuel Full Gospel International Church congregation
meets in a building which was erected in 1860. It lies behind the
Bethesda chapel on River Street (see below). The inscription 'AOF
court one and all' suggests that this building was originally a
lodge (called 'Courts') for the Ancient Order of Foresters.
The Old Baptist Chapel is on the
northern side of River Street, and is now the eastern wing
of Truro Museum (itself formerly the Savings Bank). When
Truro and Chacewater Baptists joined, they rented the now-lost
Presbyterian Meeting House in Kenwyn Street (built in
1708) and stayed for sixty years. In 1847 they took the present
River Street site, then part of 'Matthew's tenement'. The work
took from 2 November 1848 to January 1850. The museum acquired
it in 1986/7.
Three buildings down from the Old Baptist
Chapel (see above), the two spires of Bethesda Congregational
Chapel are visible here. The two buildings in-between survive
in 2017 (with the chapel's white western wall still visible
alongside 'White Stuff'). A Truro Independent Church was
first formed in 1761. Some followers took the Old Cock Pit
in 1769, and in 1776 they erected Bethesda. Replaced in 1857, the
new building was sold in 1932 for Truro Rural District Council's
Kenwyn Street United (Primitive) Methodist
Chapel lies on the northern side of Kenwyn Street, about twenty
metres west of Calenick Street. This building was constructed in
1878, later becoming a United Methodist Free Church and then a
City Mission. Closed in the last decade of the twentieth
century, it is now Grade 2 listed, and is noted as being a dressed
granite, ornately-styled Gothic building. In 2005, it housed a bar
called 'The One Eyed Cat', later replaced by Hubbox.
Salvation Army Citadel can also be found
on Kenwyn Street, on the southern side opposite a long, single-storey
pub building which in 2017 was known as the Redruth Brewery Company
Limited. Entry to the citadel (or possibly a hall - its classification
is unclear) is through a decorated whitewashed archway which is Grade
2 listed and which is the former entrance gateway to public house
(which makes it rather ironic that the tee-totaller Salvation Army
now inhabits the site).
Lemon Wesleyan Chapel is midway along
the western side of William Street (originally John Street). The
first Lemon Chapel was built as a daughter of St Mary's Wesleyan
Chapel in 1830. This was replaced in 1887 by new premises,
constructed adjacent to the original chapel. It was known as
Lemon Methodist Church from 1932, but closed in 1963 and is now
a gym. This building may also have been called Fairmantle
Chapel, thanks to the nearby street of that name.
St John The Evangelist is on the eastern
side of Lemon Street, at its southern end, about forty metres north
of Strangways Terrace. The building is Grade II listed, built in
1828 as a simple rectangular block, with a whitewashed interior and
balconies on the north and south sides. A new church was needed
because St Keyne and St Mary were full. Alterations were made in
1860, with the curved apse being built in the Italian style.
Extensive alterations were made in 1884.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses is
rather out of the way as far as Truro's many assorted churches and
chapels go. It lies on the eastern side of Dobbs Lane, about
seventy metres north of Sunningdale in the city's Highertown
district, on the other side of the Great Western main line
railway which connects to London and Bristol. The actual chapel
building is elegantly whitewashed, turning what would otherwise
be a plain building into something recognisable.
St Piran's (Old) Roman Catholic Chapel
is on Chapel Hill, on the corner with Dereham Terrace, not far
from the Baptist Church (see below). This building served the
Roman Catholic community from June 1885, allowing it to grow
substantially, so much so that it was need of a larger building.
On 17 May 1973 the new building was opened as Our Lady of the
Portal and St Piran Catholic Church. The subsequent ownership
of the chapel is unknown.
Truro Baptist Church is on Chapel
Hill, next to Bosvigo School and almost opposite Redannick
Lane. It houses a modern church which is very active in Truro.
A preschool (The Pottery) was started in 1988 and runs here
daily. It is called The Pottery because the church is built
on the site of Lake’s Pottery, founded in 1872, on a site
which is said to have been producing pots since medieval
times. This closed a decade after a devastating fire in