Last year our first donation drive was a complete success,
thanks to some wonderful people who helped us gain a security certificate and meet
some of the increasing web hosting costs. This year, that certificate needs to be
renewed and another round of hosting costs need to be supplimented. As the History
Files is a non-profit site it still needs your help. Please click anywhere inside
this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that we can continue to provide
highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. If every visitor
donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs in a day! Your support
is highly appreciated.
Target for 2019: £0£130
Gallery: Churches of Cornwall
by Jo Lewis, 11 September 2018
Carrick (South) Part 9: Churches of Threthewell, Gerrans,
& St Anthony Head
St Gerrans (or St Gerent) sits inside
the village square between Churchtown Road and Higher Town.
Gerontius (Geraint, or Gerren ap Dungarth) was an early eighth
century king of Dumnonia. The building which bears his name was
dedicated in 1261, on the site of an earlier Celtic church. It
was enlarged in the fifteenth century when the south and aisle
and the tower and spire were added. In 1849 everything except the
tower was rebuilt by William White of Truro.
Gerrans Bible Christian Chapel is off
Churchtown Road, down a tiny alley that makes it very difficult to
photograph. Built to serve specifically as a Bible Christian chapel,
this building was registered in 1852 but was certainly used for prayer
meetings before that. Between 1907 and 1932 the chapel served as
Gerrans United Methodist Church, separate from the local
Wesleyans (see above). Following unification, the chapel closed in
1936 and is now a private residence.
Gerrans Wesleyan Chapel is on the eastern
side of Churchtown Road, immediately north of the Higher Town road
junction. Built as a Wesleyan chapel in 1852, it became Gerrans
Methodist Church in 1932, separated from the United Methodists
down the road (see below). In 1987, the society united with Portscatho's
Methodists and this chapel was closed in favour of theirs. The premises
were sold in 1990 to become two luxury holiday homes.
Rosteague Old Chapel, or Rosteague
St Mary the Virgin Chapel, is on the Rosteague Estate, about
1400 kilometres south of St Gerrans (see above), on the peninsula's
easternmost road. St Gerran's Lady Chapel commemorates the fifteenth
century existence of the chapel and its dedication. The landowner in
1401, John Petit, had licence to celebrate divine service here. Today
the estate is privately owned by the Milton family, and the chapel is
now a converted toilet.
St Anthony in Roseland at St Anthony Head
lies close to the navigable creek which separates it from St Mawes,
and sits immediately behind St Anthony in Roseland cottages. During
the twelfth century much of the land here was owned by the Augustinian
Priory at Plympton in Devon. The prior established the church here in
1259, dedicated to St Antonius, to replace a Norman church of about 1150.
By 1860 it had become very dilapidated and was rebuilt and restored.
The lost Bohortha Wesleyan Chapel stood in
the village of Bohortha (formerly St Anthony village but the name changed
to match a farm-holding in the area which was also named Behortha or
Bohollow). Initially there seems to have been a Wesleyan Methodist chapel
on St Anthony's Head. An 1888 map confirms that, while there also exists
the name of St Anthony in Roseland Methodist Church and an accounts
book for 1863-1953. A modern bungalow now sits on the site.