All Saints Mission Church in Portloe can
be found on the northern side of the village centre, where Cliff
Cottages branches off towards Portloe Cove. It began as a lifeboat
house in 1870. It was altered for Anglican use in 1896. The church
bell was originally a ship's bell from the Dundela, a merchantman
that was driven onto the rocks at nearby Straythe. By the 1990s, Portloe's
Methodists (see below) had agreed to shared this building (from 17 May
The former Portloe Bible Christian Chapel
is easily seen to the right-hand side as the main road turns north
to pass Coastguard Terrace on the left. This Grade 2 listed building
was probably erected in 1860. It became Portloe United Methodist
Church in 1907-1932, and then Portloe Methodist Church.
By the 1990s the congregation had moved to All Saints (see above) and
this building was sold, later to be converted into a home by Felicity
Dahl (Roald Dahl's widow).
West Portholland Bible Christian Chapel
overlooks West Portholland Cove and its small harbour from the
western flank of that harbour. This lovely stone building was
erected in 1858. It became Portholland United Methodist Church
in 1907, part of the Roseland Methodist circuit. With congregations
falling, in the 1990s many local Methodist congregations merged with
that of Portloe (see above). This chapel was sold and is now Chapel
House, a luxury holiday cottage.
East Portholland Wesleyan Chapel overlooks
East Portholland Cove from the immediate west bank of the brook
that divides east from west. It was built about 1881, becoming East
Portholland Methodist Church in 1932. A dwindling congregation saw
it sold in 1938 - fairly early for such a closure perhaps. The building
was subsequently converted into a home which, by 2018, was available as
a rental. At low tide visitors can walk between the two Portholland
The A3078 soon reaches Tregony Hill at the River Fal
bridge. The site of the lost St James' Chapel, Tregony, can be
reached via the riverside footpath from Frog Lane. The chapel was founded
in the 1000s by the Pomeroy family. It was abandoned in the 1500s after
being submerged by the tidal river - caused by the building of the bridge
around 1300. Church valuables were moved to St Cuby, Tregony. Nearby was
also a medieval priory and a St Anne's Chapel, both lost.
The ruins of the first building to have served as
Tregony Bible Christian Chapel lie on the left-hand side of
Tregony Hill, immediately opposite the turning for Well Lane. Research
suggests that this original chapel fell into disrepair and the 'hall'
(possibly the Oddfellows Hall) became the replacement chapel (see link).
The remains of the building are now covered in foliage and are almost
unrecognisable, although the boarded-up doorway is still clear to be