Probus Methodist Meeting House lies immediately
opposite the Hawkins Arms, on the northern side of Fore Street in Probus.
The information sign in the village alludes to the fact that there have
been Methodists here since the 1700s with various buildings housing chapels.
But it was in that century that the daughter of one Mr Dabb persuaded him to open up his
house for meetings, opposite the Hawkins Arms as, probably, the
very first of those Methodist meeting places.
Probus Bible Christian Chapel lies at the
western end of Probus, in an area known as Probus Green, and on the
eastern side of Tresowgar Lane which leads north off Fore Street.
Originally built in 1907 it soon served the United Methodists when,
in 1932, it became Probus Green Methodist Church. Archives show
records until 1948. In 2012 a planning application existed to convert
the Old Chapel into a single dwelling which certainly implies that it
had a prior use.
The Ladock Road from Portloe leads past a left-hand
turn for Helland. It was here that Helland Manor Chapel could
once be found. At one time there were eight chapels in the parish of
Probus, just about all of which have been lost. The one at Helland is
said to have been converted into a barn, probably thanks to the
Reformation, and it was probably located here at Helland Manor,
Helland Barton, which is on a site that old maps show was previously
a manor house.
The Parish Church of St Ladoca lies on
the northern side of a lane, about 120 metres east of the main road
through Ladock (B3275). The church may occupy an ancient settlement
site. It is dedicated to St Ladoca (a Cornish saint). By the 1100s
worship took place in a stone building comprising chancel and nave.
The present structure dates mainly from the 1400s, with traces of
the Norman building and font. It underwent heavy restoration in 1864
and is Grade 1 listed.
Ladock (Bisseck) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
lies on the southern side of another lane off the B3275, but in
exactly the opposite direction from that of the Anglican church
(Ladock and Bisseck are variations of the same name). The chapel
was built for Wesleyans around 1816. It became Ladock Methodist
Church in 1932 and closed in 1996, with removal of the war
memorial and pews. Then it was sympathetically converted into a
The lost Nansough Old Chapel formerly lay
within the grounds of Nansough Manor, East Ladock, a little under a
kilometre to the west of Ladock itself along the side lane which lies
opposite the Falmouth Arms in the village. The Georgian manor dates
from 1792, whilst the cottage area attached at the back has apparently
been the site of a residence since the twelfth century. A licence was
granted for a chapel in the 1200s, a fact supported by the Cornish