History Files
 

Please help the History Files

Contributed: 175

Target: 400

2023
Totals slider
2023

The History Files still needs your help. As a non-profit site, it is only able to support such a vast and ever-growing collection of information with your help, and this year your help is needed more than ever. Please make a donation so that we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. Your help really is appreciated.

 

 

Churches of the British Isles

Gallery: Churches of Cornwall

by Jo Lewis, 23 November 2023

Carrick (North & West) Part 3: Churches of St Allen & St Newlyn East

St Nighton's Old Chapel, St Allen, Cubert, Cornwall

St Nighton's Old Chapel, St Allen, sat at the High Lanes junction with the A3075, east of Cubert. Its only medieval references are in bequests to St Nectan (1470 and 1503). Roscanock (circa 1600) says it had a yard in which were four stones on a little mount or hill until the 1550s. It is mentioned as a boundary point for the parishes of Crantock (1613) and Cubert (1630). The probable western end of the chapel was located in 1968 although the rest had already gone.

Treludderow Old Chapel, St Allen, St Newlyn East, Cornwall

Treludderow Old Chapel, St Allen, can be found by heading down the lane opposite High Lanes and turning right at the start of Cargoll Road. Treludderow Farm is on the western side of this southbound road, sitting on a former manor house site. Henderson notes a barn here, said to have been a chapel but more likely to have been part of the Borlase family mansion. The family were Catholics, so the chapel may have been a post-Reformation Catholic chapel.

Church of St Newlina, St Newlyn East, Cornwall

The Church of St Newlina, St Newlyn East, is sited in the middle of the village. The earliest stone church on this site was probably erected towards the end of the twelfth century to replace an Anglo-Saxon wooden church, being cruciform in shape. The lower parts both of the north transept (the Lady Chapel) and chancel walls are Norman, with distinct stepped work at the base on display. The church was enlarged in the 1300s with further extensions in the 1400s.

Church of St Newlina, St Newlyn East, Cornwall

However, St Newlina's Church ended up in dire need of restoration. In 1883 work began under plans which were drawn up by a Mr Sedding. When the church was re-opened in January 1884, The Church Times reported that the church was now one of the most beautiful in Cornwall. The exterior south wall contains an embedded fig tree which seems quite healthy. The legend is that this grew from the staff of St Newlina, and that it carries a curse should anyone pluck a leaf.

St Newlyn Bible Christian Chapel, St Newlyn East, Cornwall

St Newlyn Bible Christian Chapel is on the south side of The Cross when heading back towards the Nanhayes Row junction from the parish church. It is marked on early maps but is gone by 1907. Documents confirm its previous status as a chapel (as does its architecture). The Imperial Gazetteer notes a Byranite chapel in the village around 1870-1872. The chapel was built in or around 1850. It closed in 1920 to act as the post office. It is now residential.

St Newlyn Methodist Church, St Newlyn East, Cornwall

St Newlyn Methodist Church is on the east side of Nanhayes Row, south of The Cross. The first chapel here was built in 1881 on leased land for mining-rich non-conformists. The present building replaced it in 1832, using the same stone as the church. Becoming too small, a larger Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built across the road (see links). The old building became the Wesley Hall for various local activities. It was renovated and rededicated in 1990, remaining in use.

Four photos on this page by Jo Lewis, one kindly contributed by Roy Reed via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group, and one via Geograph under a Creative Commons licence.

 

 

     
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.