History Files
 

Please help the History Files

Contributed: 84

Target: 400

2023
Totals slider
2023

The History Files still needs your help. As a non-profit site, it is only able to support such a vast and ever-growing collection of information with your help, and this year your help is needed more than ever. Please make a donation so that we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. Your help really is appreciated.

 

 

Churches of the British Isles

Gallery: Churches of Cornwall

by Jo Lewis, 24 February 2024

Carrick (North & West) Part 7: Churches of St Allen, Gwarnick, & Zelah

Church of St Alleyne, St Allen, Cornwall

The Church of St Alleyne, St Allen, sits in the middle of nowhere and is best found by heading north from Lanner Barton on a small country road. It has known been variously down the centuries as Eglossalen (1235), Sancti Alluni or Allunus (1261), Seynt Alun (1270), Sancto Aluno (1291), Sancti Aluni (1349), and St Allen by 1664. Usage of 'St Alleyne' and 'Saint Alunus' occurred briefly in the 1800s. The core building dates to the late 1100s with additions of the 1200s.

Church of St Alleyne, St Allen, Cornwall

The tower also appears to date from the twelfth century, containing three bells. In the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries the church was extended on the south end and was also partially rebuilt. It was extensively restored between 1873-1874, and considerable additional restoration work was undertaken in 1989-1990 which included the new vestibule room at the west end of the church, which can serve as a vestry, kitchen, and meeting place.

Tretherres Old Chapel, Tretherres, Cornwall

The lost Tretherres Old Chapel and its accompanying cemetery were once located to the south of St Allen. Remains are marked on old OS maps on the eastern side of the triangle which leads to Tretherres farm. The 1814 history of Cornwall noted the walls and ruins of 'an ancient free chapel' which had probably been built by the bishops of Cornwall and Exeter when they resided at Laner (Lanner). Some elements of the chapel remained standing into 1736.

St Mary's Old Chapel and Gwarnick Manor House Chapel, Gwarnick, Cornwall

Neither St Mary's Old Chapel or Gwarnick Manor House Chapel exist. The first stood a small distance from the house itself, but was demolished before 1736. The other was attached directly to the house which, together with 'the old hall, curiously timbered with Irish oak', was then the only remaining. Even these were eventually pulled down, and a farmhouse built on the site with the materials. Two sources attribute one (if not both) of the chapels to St Mary (1512).

Zelah Bible Christian Chapel, Zelah, Cornwall

The former Zelah Bible Christian Chapel sits on Zelah Lane (St Allen Lane) in Zelah, to the north-west of St Allen. The chapel sits at the Tolgroggan Farm junction, on the eastern side of a long curve in the road at the very southern end of Zelah (also known as Lane Chapel). Evidence suggests the chapel was here by 1822. It is shown on 1880 maps and was noted in 1884. Planning records suggest conversion into a workshop in the 1980s, but it is now residential.

Zelah Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Zelah, Cornwall

The former Zelah Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is on the western side of Henver Lane, which runs north-south through Zelah. It was originally built as a Wesleyan chapel in 1859 with the Sunday school behind it (with this being added in 1868). In 1932 the chapel became Zelah Methodist Church, but that closed in 1992. The building is now a private residence, with planning suggesting conversion in 1998. The organ went to St Allen Church (see above).

Four photos on this page by Jo Lewis, and two kindly contributed by Roy Reed via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group.

 

 

     
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.