Tywardreath Highway (Old) Bible Christian
Chapel sat on the eastern side of the highway, approximately 265m
south-west of the Grove Park side road. References suggest it was
built in 1841. When the new chapel across the road replaced it in
1890 (see below) it became the Sunday school. That school survived
into 1962 at least, as OS maps show it still in place, but it was
later demolished and the local war memorial was moved to its
Tywardreath Highway Bible Christian Chapel
is on the northern side of Tywardreath Highway, around 250m
south-west of the Grove Park side road. It was built by the
followers of O'Brien (Bryanites). A plaque above the triple windows
dates it to 1890, although some reports state 1841 (this is more
likely for the old chapel opposite - see above). It became
Tywardreath Methodist Church from 1907, but is now a private
dwelling, perhaps converted in 2014.
The precise location of Porcupine Mission Room
is uncertain (this view is of the entrance to Porcupine Lodge,
alongside the Porcupine crossroads). There are frequent references
to a mission here, at Porcupine Highway, but little to pinpoint its
whereabouts. Better recorded are meetings of Tywardreath
Magistrates' Court petty sessions, which were held at the Porcupine
Inn from 1841. The nickname for one of the magistrates stuck to the
inn and location as 'Porcupine'.
Travelling west from Porcupine via Prideaux Road
towards Carne Cross, Medros (Methrose) Farmhouse (Wesleyan Meeting)
lies a little to the east of the main road. John Wesley was a friend
of the then farmer, staying here five or six times between
1755-1778. An octagonal granite font, probably of medieval origin,
sits in the courtyard. Wesley held meetings in the barn, dining
room, and courtyard. An attendee was the mother of William O'Brien,
founder of the Bible Christians.
St Ciricius & St Julitta Parish Church of
Luxulyan is at the village's east edge, alongside the road
towards the Treffry Viaduct. It may originally have been dedicated
to St Sulien. The present building in local granite dates to the
late 1400s, but the tower and porch were added in the early 1500s.
It possibly replaced an earlier building as the font is Norman. The
church was substantially re-organised in 1875, and architect
Silvanus Trevail is buried in the churchyard.
Bridges (Second) Bible Christian Chapel
is on the north side of the connecting lane between Luxulyan to
Bridges, thirty metres from its eastern end. It was built in 1885
of squared granite blocks with tall, slim lancet windows - a
replacement for the original chapel (see links). Its exterior has
survived virtually unaltered. Following the Methodist union it
became Bridges Methodist Church and it remained in use until
recently when it was converted into a private residence.
Five photos on this page by Jo Lewis, and one
by the Royal Cornwall Archive.