The Parish Church of St Brevita, Lanlivery,
sits at the heart of the village. Originally it was dedicated to
St Manaccus & St Dunstan and is shown as such as late as
Victorian OS maps immediately before 1900. It is now dedicated to St
Bryvyth (Brevita). The start of worship on this site has been lost
to history, but the near circular enclosure of the ancient churchyard
suggests that it was an important site even in pre-Christian times.
It was first documented in 1162.
A second mention of the church dates to 1281, but
that building, possibly Norman, was largely replaced in the
fourteenth century by the present building. It consists of a nave,
aisle, and north and west transepts, the latter being the tower
which holds a peal of eight bells. A restoration (completed in 1993)
was a major event here. The roof - the main cause for concern - was
fully renovated. The interior and exterior stonework was also fully
cleaned and re-rendered.
St Chad's Chapel was supposedly part
of Penlyn House which lies on the south-eastern side of the A390
Edgcumbe Road as it heads towards Crewel. The house was the seat
of the Kendall family, but the chapel seems not to exist in
historical references. The subject of its dedication, St Chad or
Ceda, was the patron of Lichfield, Worcester, and Coventry, all
in Mercia, but the chapel at this house was probably a small
domestic establishment of the less grandiose variety.
St Peter's Old Chapel, Poldew, lay in
what is now a small field just a hundred-or-so metres to the south
Poldew Farm (pictured here), on the eastern side of the B3269. There
are multiple references to an ancient chapel at Poldew, and its
approximate location is marked on late Victorian OS maps. It was one
of a group of medieval chapels (probably chantries) in the parish,
the others being at Bodardle (see below), St Chad Penlyn (see above),
and La Pyle (Pill Old Chapel).
St Nicholas Old Chapel, Bodardle, is
another of several medieval chapels in the parish, most of which
were probably chantries which were closed at the Reformation. There
are multiple references to this particular chapel, in the manor of
Bodardle or Bodarle, on the eastern side of Poldew Woods. It was
dedicated on 13 April 1387, and is mentioned again in 1422. Its
location is uncertain, but it was highly likely to have been
attached to the current Bodardle Farm area.
Lostwithiel Congregational Chapel stood
where today's Clentworth Terrace exists, on the west side (on the
photo's left) of the truncated Restormel Road in Lostwithiel, about
forty metres north of the Liddicoat Road junction. The chapel was
erected in 1807 and rebuilt and enlarged in 1878-1879 at a cost of
£800. It was a plain building of stone with 250 sittings. There was
an additional cemetery (laid out in 1857) but the chapel was eventually
closed and demolished.
Elim Church (Lostwithiel Community Centre)
meets in the centre itself, at the north-east corner of the junction
between Pleyber Christ Way and the A390 Liddicoat Road, just fifty
metres due east of the former site of the Congregational chapel (see
above). The 'Oasis' room is the site of the regular Sunday meetings
for this congregation, part of the Elim Foursquare Gospel Alliance.
Elim church seems not to have had an earlier purpose-built meeting
room of its own here.
The second site of Lostwithiel Wesleyan
Methodist Chapel sits at the south-west corner of the Liddicoat
Road junction with Restormel Road (formerly Norman Lane). It was
built in 1880 to replace an earlier chapel on King Street (see below).
Construction was in stone with granite and Bath stone dressings, in
the Decorated style. It also had a twenty-one metre-high tower and
spire on the north side. It closed in 1965 due to poor attendance
and was quickly demolished.
King Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
stands at the northern end of the narrow King Street in Lostwithiel.
It was erected around 1812 to replace North Street's meeting house
(see links), although it doesn't appear on maps until after 1823. It
closed after 1880 with the building of a grander Wesleyan chapel on
Norman Lane (the second Wesleyan site - see above). This building
was later converted into residential accommodation, with a plaque
to remember its history.
Lostwithiel United Free Methodist Chapel
is on the eastern side of Lostwithiel's Liddicoat Road, midway between
Duke Street and Bodmin Hill. The first chapel here was built in 1835,
a plain stone structure possibly with a Sunday school attached. 'The
Bank' on which it was built became Albert Terrace following Queen
Victoria's 1846 visit, while the chapel became known locally as
Bank Methodist Chapel. It was rebuilt in the late 1890s,
but closed in 1987 to become flats.
All photos on this page by Jo Lewis. Additional
information from The Cornwall Register: Containing Collections
Relative to the Past and Present State of the 209 Parishes, Forming
the County, Archdeaconry, Parliamentary Divisions, and Poor Law
Unions of Cornwall ; to which is Added a Brief View of the Adjoining
Towns and Parishes in Devon, from Hartland to Plymouth, John
Wallis (Liddell and Son, 1847).