History Files
 
 

 

Modern Britain

Gallery: Churches of Cornwall

by Jo Lewis, 2 September 2021

Restormel (North) Part 9: Churches of St Columb Major to St Columb Minor

Text, Cornwall

Eastfield Chapel of Rest, Higher East Street, St Columb Major was sited as part of part of the funeral parlour of A E Tucker. Cornwall planning documents note an application in the 1970s to convert a workshop into a chapel of rest. In 2019 planning existed to remove the buildings and replace them with homes. Comments in the application clearly indicate the fact that the buildings have fallen into a state of disrepair. By 2021 the buildings were still in disrepair.

Text, Cornwall

St Columb Major Chapel of Rest, Lower Penmellyn, is on the west side of New Road, about 120m north of the meeting point with Bridge Hill. The funeral directors, C L Rescorla & Son, are based in the north of the village. Starting as village carpenters and wheelwrights, the company served all the needs of the local community, using wood to construct quality coffins. They are now third generation funeral directors, with their private chapel behind the main building.

Text, Cornwall

Lanhainsworth Old Chapel (or Lanhizey) would have lain to the immediate east of the A39 at the north-eastern edge of St Columb Major. Hals states that there were 'anciently' four free chapels in this parish, called Tregoos, Tresithney, Lanhizey and Ruthos, of which there were no remains. Their cemeteries became gardens and orchards. The location of this site cannot be found. This view is of the turning into Lanhainsworth where private houses sit alongside the road.

Text, Cornwall

Trevelgue lays well to the west of St Columb Major, along the A3059 and diverting to the north-west at the Treloy Golf Club. The site of the lost Trevelgue Old Chapel can be found to the immediate north of the Newquay Valley Holidays complex. Also referred to as Trebelsue and Trebeljew chapel, it sat on the west edge of a bell-shaped field (shown inside the red circle). It was close to the present farmhouse at Trebelsue, an area which was settled by 1302.

Text, Cornwall

Bethel Chapel (United Methodist), Treviglas, is on the northern side of Henver Road, about sixty metres east of the Porth Bean Road junction, on the edge of St Columb Minor. The chapel is marked on early maps (1881) as a United Methodist chapel and was probably considered part of St Columb Minor. The chapel became Free United in 1907, before finally becoming the Bethel Methodist Church. It remained in use up to 1984, after which it was converted into 'The Old Chapel'.

Text, Cornwall

Chapel Mews Chapel sits on the western side of Church Road, about twenty metres north the southernmost Leader Road junction in St Columb Minor. The recreation ground lies behind this L-shaped building. While having the look of a chapel, there is apparently no evidence of it ever having been an official place of worship. However, it is marked as a hall on older maps, so perhaps it supported Church Street Methodist Chapel (see links).

Five photos on this page by Jo Lewis. Additional information from The History of Cornwall, Fortesque Hitchins (William Penaluna, 1824).

 

 

     
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.