The Church of St John the Baptist is on
the northern side of the busy A361 road on the eastern edge of
Durston, with the churchyard entrance around ten metres east of
the Fog Lane junction. Durston chapel was originally given as part
of the endowment of Buckland Priory in 1170. The priory
buildings once stood where today's Buckland Farm lies, on the
opposite side of the A361 in nearby Lower Durston, and nothing
remains of them. Durston chapel was enlarged in 1815.
One Thomas Grey paid for the 1815 restoration,
and he is commemorated by a tablet on the south wall of the tower.
The chapel was rebuilt in 1853 by C H Knowles, turning it into a
small parish church in the Early English style with slate roofs.
The earliest part of the existing church is the late Perpendicular
tower which was built in blue lias, while the main body is of rubble
stone with hamstone dressings. The three-stage crenellated tower
underwent restoration in 1897.
Athelney Abbey's site is marked by King
Alfred's Monument which, while gated, sits in the middle of an
open field on private land to the immediate north of Athelney Farm.
The more formally-titled Monastery of Our Blessed Saviour, St
Peter, St Paul, and St Athelwine was sited on or close to King
Alfred's AD 878 fortress of Ethelingaeigge. It was Alfred who later
ordered the abbey to be built (or perhaps expanded from an earlier
hermitage). The Dissolution ended it.
The Free Chapel of St Michael stands at
the top of Barrow Mump - a well-known local landmark. This natural
conical hill was turned into a castle motte by the Normans. A chapel
seemingly existed in 1544 when the land was granted to John Clayton
following the Dissolution, confirmed in 1548. Funds were donated in
1663 towards its repair, which work began around 1724 but was not
finished. Another attempt in 1793 also failed and the church
gradually became a ruin.
The Church of St Michael, Burrowbridge,
is on the south-eastern side of Main Road, with the River Parrett
on its western flank. This was the replacement for Barrow Mump's
St Michael's Chapel (see above), following several failures to
enact repair work on the old chapel. It was built in 1836-1838 by
Richard Carver, with the chancel arch being inserted in 1888. The
building is of squared and coursed blue lias hamstone dressings,
with slate roofs, and coped verges.
Ebenezer Baptist Chapel, Burrowbridge,
stands on the eastern side of Riverside, on the east bank of the River
Parrett, about 310 metres north of St Michael Burrowbridge (see
above). The chapel was built in 1856 (not 1836). The porch was added
and the rear of the building was enlarged late in the nineteenth
century. A date of closure is not known but, despite the chapel now
serving as a private residence, public access must be maintained to
the burial ground.