St Myllin's Church, Llanfyllin, is on the
north side of the High Street, around fifty metres north-west of the
Narrow Street turning and with the medical centre at its back. It
was, according to tradition, founded in the seventh century, and the
Irish monk, St Moling, was believed to have been buried beneath the
altar. The first verifiable record of the church dates to 1254, and
all physical traces of early buildings have faded from the site. The
present building dates to 1706-1710.
Moriea Welsh Calvinist Methodist Chapel,
also known as Moriah Chapel, is at the south end of Market
Street, in the 'U' shape formed by that, Vine Square, and Brook
Street. It was first built in 1807, but that early chapel was
demolished and rebuilt in 1857. The present building is in a plain
Gothic-derived style with a gable entry plan. The side walls are
of red brick with brick buttresses and paired lancet windows. The
chapel's fortunes faded in the late 1900s and it closed by 2007.
Sion Chapel (Welsh Baptist) in Llanyfyllin
is on the eastern side of Brook Street, approximately halfway along
its length. It was founded and first built in 1836, but then rebuilt
in 1877. The latter date is shown on the date stone on the apex of
the building. It was designed by the architect Richard Owens of
Liverpool, and built in the Simple Round-Headed style with a gable
entry plan. It closed during the late 1990s and has since been
converted into a residential premises.
Pendref Chapel, Llanfyllin, is set back
from the northern side of the High Street, about thirty-five metres
from the Mill Lane junction. The fellowship of the Pen-Dref
Congregational Chapel was established around 1640 by the
preacher Vavasour Powell. The first chapel building was put up in
1707. This was later destroyed by an anti-nonconformist mob, and
rebuilt at the government's expense in 1717. Another rebuild of 1829
was partially remodelled in the 1890s.
Tabernacle Wesleyan Methodist Chapel,
Llanfyllin, is on the eastern side of the Ffordd Y Cain road (Lower
Bridge Street), with Cae-Boncyn Lane cutting across its southern
flank (to the right here). It sits on a site that has been in
continuous use as a place of Methodist worship since 1809. However,
this chapel was rebuilt in 1830 and 1840 as earlier constructions
were found to be unsafe. The present building dates to 1905, designed
by architects Shaylar & Ridge of Oswestry.
Carmel Chapel, Llangynog, is also known
as Llangynon Wesleyan Methodist Church. It sits on the
north-eastern side of the B4391 road, around forty metres south-east
of the village's parish church. Standing on a fenced site next to
the New Inn, the chapel was built by the Wesleyan Methodists in
1875 to a design by Richard Owens of Liverpool. Craig Rhiwarth
stands behind, wreathed in mist. It was mined for lead and slate,
although the slate quarry is now disused.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by
Douglas Law via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles'