St James Church, Weethley, sits on the
south-western edge of a lane which leads off Evesham Road,
approximately four kilometres south-west of Alcester. The village
has a recorded history which dates to AD 708, while Domesday Book records
a population of thirty, which is relatively unchanged today. A
chapel seems first to have been built here around 1000. In a
description of about 1640 it was shown to be a timber building, with
a half-timbered chancel.
The timbered chapel was restored in 1839, but it
was soon replaced. The present building was the result of a gift
from a visitor in 1855. It was constructed between 1857-1858 of lias
stone in the thirteenth century style and consists of an apsidal
chancel, nave with bell turret, north porch, and south vestry. The
original chapel was attached to the church at Kinwarton. The living
is now annexed to the rectory of Arrow, and is in the gift of the
marquess of Hertford.
Dunnington Baptist Church stands on the eastern
side of Evesham Road as it turns to the south in Dunnington. The small
stone church was founded in 1841 and is affiliated to the Baptist Union
of Great Britain, and to the Heart of England Baptist Association. By
2010 it had a membership of ten and an average congregation of eighteen
at the weekly evening service. Additional services were also being conducted
in the village hall of the neighbouring village of Broom.
St Joseph the Worker Catholic Church, Bidford-on-Avon,
is on Quinneys Lane, overlooking Tower Hill. It replaced a Catholic
chapel which existed at Salford Hall (the entrance of which is shown
here) in 1960, utilising a former builders workshop. The Hall
existed in three incarnations, the first two for Evesham Abbey. The
third was completed in 1602 and provided a chapel which was used
mainly by the resident Stanford family. The building was declared
unsafe in 1948.
Three photos on this page kindly contributed by Aidan