All Saints, Luddington, is now on the
southern side of the main street. The chapelries of Luddington and
Bishopton were annexed to Holy Trinity, Stratford, in the medieval
period. After the Reformation the advowson of the chapel belonged
to the vicar of Stratford. The medieval chapel was probably demolished
towards the end of the eighteenth century. It was a plain rectangular
structure with a western bell turret and a bell inscribed 'God save
King James 1609'.
The frequent discovery of bones, nails, and pieces
of old coffins on the site during the early part of the nineteenth century
seems to show that it had at some time possessed the right of burial. After
it was pulled down the inhabitants of Luddington were assigned pews in Holy
Trinity, Stratford, though they later attended All Saints, Weston-on-Avon,
on the opposite bank of the river. The present church at Luddington was
erected on a different site in 1872.
St Helen, Clifford Chambers, rests at the
eastern end of a cul-de-sac, almost opposite Rainsford Close. There
was a priest at Clifford Chambers in 1086, and the parish church was
presumably included in Roger de Busli's gift to Gloucester Abbey,
which was confirmed by the pope in 1200. The parish priest was described
as rector in the thirteenth century. The old church was rebuilt in the
mid-twelfth century with chancel and nave, in rubble with a Cotswold
After the Dissolution, the Crown retained the
patronage in 1562 when the manor was granted away. The two-stage
west tower was probably added in the fourteenth century. The church
was heavily restored in 1886, and this is possibly when the twelfth
century north door was blocked, as was a plain chancel arch. By the
1950s, the churchyard had become so full that part of the rectory orchard
had to be taken over for new internments.
Three photos on this page kindly contributed by Aidan
McRae Thomson, and one by Douglas Law via the 'History Files: Churches
of the British Isles' Flickr group.