St George, Darlingscott, lies to the west of
the village, on the southern side of the main street. The chapel or
church is part of the benefice with Tredington, Stretton-on-Fosse,
Ilmington, Whitchurch and Preston-on-Stour. There was a pre-Reformation
chapel here, but this may have been demolished as early as the sixteenth
century. The humble Victorian building which forms Darlingscott's
relatively new church was erected in 1874, in the thirteenth century style.
It consists simply of a nave and chancel
with a bell cote on the west gable. There is also a south transept,
made of brick within the stone-built church, which is used as a
schoolroom, and which opens into the church by means of folding
doors. The church's interior is quite plain with no stained glass
or reredos, though there is some vigorous carving on the font and
chancel arch capitals. The church underwent restoration work about
2008 and the bell was repaired.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Aidan