St Martin, Barcheston, is situated on the western
side of a lane which leads south from the B4035 road, on the east bank of
the River Stour about a kilometre east of Shipston-on-Stour. The small
church was built in ironstone, which in bright light tends to glow like
old gold. Construction was completed in the fifteenth century in a secluded
spot in the hamlet, with a distinctive north-west tower which is the same
age as the church and which inclines dramatically to the west.
Unusually for churches in the Stour valley, this
building escaped restoration work by the Victorians, leaving its
original features fully intact. In the churchyard is the shaft of a
preaching cross, while just inside the south door of the church, on
the left-hand capital, is a green man. The church also contains an
alabaster monument to William Willingdon (died 1555) and his wife,
two rustic medieval benches in the choir, and a good brass to Hugh
The Church of the Ascension, Tidmington,
is just north of the hamlet, on the eastern side of the main road.
The church is a small one, partly in the early English style, and
consists of a chancel, nave, three-stage west tower and south porch.
It dates from about 1200, and was then probably of the same size and
layout as at present except that the chancel may have been shorter.
It was rebuilt at the beginning of the sixteenth century.
Extensive rebuilding took place between 1874-1875,
which included the restoration of the nave windows with modern
stonework and the repair of the tower. The north entrance is modern,
as is the south porch, but the south doorway is original. The belfry
windows are also apparently original and the belfry contains four
bells. The earliest was cast by Robert Atton of Buckingham in 1619,
the last in 1550, although the sanctus bell is probably Elizabethan.
St Nicholas & St Barnabas, Burmington,
is on the southern side of Main Street, opposite the entrance to The
Lane and close to the River Stour. The church is a relatively small
building with a chancel with a north vestry, a nave with a south porch,
and a north-west bell turret. It dates to perhaps 1200, but apart from
medieval masonry present in the walls, little other than part of the
chancel arch remains. The original building fell into decay and the
nave was rebuilt in 1693.
During the rebuilding work of the 1600s, the old
central tower was fully removed and the chancel was reduced in size.
A further very complete restoration was also carried out in the
nineteenth century when all the windows, doorways, and roofs were
renewed, the latter being covered with stone tiles, the bell turret
was added, and other work was carried out, including the addition of
a north doorway. The single bell is from 1592, by Robert Newcombe of
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Aidan