St Swithin's Church, Quinton, serves Lower and
Upper Quinton, as well as the villages of Admington and Lark Stoke. The
church is located on the southern side of Main Road, opposite the entrance
to Friday Street, just under ten kilometres from Stratford-upon-Avon.
Until 1931 this parish was in Gloucestershire. The church was built about
1100, and the tomb of Sir Henry, Knight, who fought with distinction at
Agincourt can be found within the old church.
In 1945, aging farm labourer Charles Walton was
hedge-planting for a local farmer. That evening his niece found their
thatched cottage empty and his corpse was found on the Meon Hill. The
old man had been savagely murdered. His trouncing-hook was found embedded
in his slashed chest, whilst his pitch-fork had been driven through his
neck and was embedded deeply in the earth - the traditional method of
dispatching a witch. Walton is buried in the churchyard.
St Mary, Ilmington, lies between Back Street
and Valenders Lane in the heart of the village. There was a priest,
implying the existence of a Saxon church, at Ilmington in 1086. That
church was probably wooden, and following the Dissolution the advowson
descended with the manor, being conveyed with it in 1550 to Sir Thomas
Andrews. One member of this family seems to have parted with it, possibly
because they were Roman Catholics.
Whatever early church may have been here, the
Norman church dates to the mid-twelfth century, when the chancel and
nave were built. Later in the same century the tower was added.
Early in the thirteenth century the chancel was rebuilt and
extended, retaining the thick walls. Extensive rebuilding took place
in the fourteenth century, and again in the mid-nineteenth century
(perhaps in 1846). The roof was restored in 1939, and there are five bells,
all dated to 1641.
All photos on this page contributed by Aidan