St Michael's Church, Weston-under-Wetherley,
is on the northern side of the Rugby Road, 5.6 kilometres (3.5 miles) to
the north-east of Leamington Spa. There is evidence of a twelfth
century church in the north and south walls of the chancel, consisting
of the eastern halves of two semicircularheaded blocked windows, and
in 1291 it was stated that this early building was an endowment of
Arbury Priory. This was confirmed in 1401 by the archbishop of Canterbury.
Early in the thirteenth century the church was almost
entirely rebuilt, in the red sandstone ashlar seen today, while the tower
was added in the fourteenth century, except for the top stage which was
added much later in the same century. A north chapel was built in the
sixteenth century, and in more modern times a vestry and south porch. There
are four bells, which were added in 1583, 1585, 1592, and 1624, the
first two by Geoffrey Giles, the others by Hugh Watts.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Aidan