History Files History Files
 
Donate add-in
 

 

Modern Britain

Gallery: Churches of the West Midlands

by Peter Kessler & Aidan McRae Thomson, 16 October 2010. Updated 3 April 2020

Sutton Coldfield Part 1: Churches of Sutton Coldfield

Catholic Church of the Holy Trinity, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands

The Catholic Church of the Holy Trinity is on the western side of Lichfield Road, opposite Boswell Road in Sutton Coldfield. It can often be confused with the Anglican church nearby, and was probably dedicated as such to offer Catholics the comfort of an assumption of continuity between the two churches. The new church was constructed in 1920 in the neo-Gothic style. It is distinguished mainly by its oblong tower and the finely-carved stonework on the entrance portal.

Holy Trinity Church, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands

Holy Trinity Church, Sutton Coldfield, is at the north-west corner of the Coleshill Street and Trinity Hill junction in the centre of Sutton Coldfield. Services for the town during the 1100s and early 1200s took place in the Chapel of St Blaize at the manor. Holy Trinity was built about 1300, and took over services at the end of the fifteenth century. The tower was built about 1500, and the nave was probably extended westwards to join into it. Bishop Vesey is entombed within.

Sutton Coldfield Methodist Church, South Parade, West Midlands

Sutton Coldfield Methodist Church is on the east side of South Parade, midway between the Victoria Road and Upper Holland Road junctions. The old church building had occupied a town centre site since 1888. In 1926 the Sunday school moved to new buildings in South Parade - now the church centre (to the right). In 1935 the Borough Council and trustees agreed that the old building would be a public library, while the present church was opened on 17 October 1936.

Two photos on this page kindly contributed by Aidan McRae Thomson, and one by Elliott Brown via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group.

In Depth
In Depth
 

 

     
Copyright
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.