The Apostolic Church of St George the Martyr
(Püha Georgi Kogudus in Estonian) is located at Pakri 2 in Paldiski, just
a hundred metres or so to the south of St Nicholas' Church. Set
alongside a quiet road, it is enclosed by high walls to the south
and east and faces out over the industrialised harbour area. Under the
direction of the Greek Orthodox Church in Constantinople, the church was
constructed between 1784-1787 to a design by the architect J Moor.
Despite Soviet control of the country, Greek
Orthodox building in Estonia was not unknown. In 1892 this church
was rebuilt by A Edelson in the Classical Baroque style, and laid
out as a traditional Latin cross, with an elongated bell tower and
apse, and plastered in white limestone. It is now a registered
monument, but one that is in a poor outward condition, with most of
the plaster gone. However, the roof and windows have been replaced.
Paldiski Methodist Church (Metodisti Kiriku
Paldiski kogudus), is at Adamsoni 9. It is one of several churches in
Paldiski which meet in the homes of members - just as similar
nonconformist churches started in Britain. Others include Paldiski
Christian Pentecostal Church (Paldiski Nelipühi kirik), Rae 40,
Jehovah's Witnesses (Jehoova tunnistajad), Rae 29, and the
Orthodox Church of St Panteleimon the Martyr & Healer (Püha
suurmärtri Panteleimoni kirik), Muuli 4.
The ruins of Väike-Pakri Church (kirik)
are located at Rannarootsi, on the small island of the same name
which is just off the coast opposite Paldiski. The church, which has
never received a dedication, was first described in detail in 1769.
The size and appearance of the nave is also known from rebuilds which
were carried out in 1851 and 1906. The tower's age is unknown, but it
was rebuilt in 1825 and 1866, and its west door was the only entrance
into the nave.
Suur-Pakri Church (kirik) is on the larger
of the twin Pakri islands, lying to the west of Väike-Pakri. The church,
which is more correctly known as a chapel, was founded in the Middle Ages,
but very little of its history is known while the islands were under the
dominance of Padise Monastery. By the seventeenth century, the island's
church came under the control of St Matthew's Church, Harju-Madise, but
in 1870 it was united with the Church of the Holy Cross, Harju-Risti.
In 1897 the church was again transferred, this time to
St Michael's Church, Tallinn. The lifestyle of the inhabitants of the Pakri
islands remained untouched by the Russian empire until about 1890, when the
Russian Orthodox faith was introduced. Little progress was made on Väike-Pakri,
but here almost half the population were converted. However, the chapel burned
down in 1905, for reasons that were never discovered, and has remained a ruin