Église de Saint-Jean-Baptiste de Grenelle
(St John the Baptist of Grenelle) stands at the junction of the
Rue des Entrepreneurs and the Rue du Commerce in the 15th
arrondissement. It is the oldest church in the district to still
maintain its original style of construction. The local leading
citizens of the day, the businessmen for whom the Rue des
Entrepreneurs was named, realised that there was a need for a
handsome new church in the growing district.
Initially this was to replace St Lambert
Vaugirard in the neighbouring parish. Funds were assembled so
that St Jean-Baptist could be constructed between 1827-1828 in
the new parish of Grenelle, before Grenelle itself was officially
a part of Paris (it was drawn in thirty years later, to form the
15th arrondissement in 1859). The duchess of Angouleme and her
daughter were present to lay the first stone, making sure that
there was a good turnout for this grand occasion.