YOUR PICTURE GALLERY IS NOW LOADING...
St John's Chapel Bedford Row in Bloomsbury
was a proprietary chapel built in the vicinity of Chapel Street and
Great James Street, the latter being a northerly extension of Bedford
Row. It was built about 1713 to serve Anglicans leaving St Andrews Holborn
after having a minister forced on them by Queen Anne. The chapel, claimed
as the largest in London, needed restoration in the 1780s. The roof collapsed
in November 1856, and the building was demolished in 1863.
Holy Trinity Gray's Inn Road stood on the eastern
side of Gray's Inn Road, on the southern side of the Royal Free Hospital,
very close to St Bartholomew Gray's Inn Road (below). The northernmost gates
of St Andrew's Gardens (with a row of headstones behind them) probably mark
the spot today. The church was built in 1839, taking its parish from part of
that of St Andrew Holborn. In 1931 the parish was united to St George the
Martyr Queen Square and the church demolished.
St Bartholomew Gray's Inn Road stood approximately
on the eastern side of Gray's Inn Road, at the northern side of the junction
with Wren Street in Bloomsbury. The southernmost gates of St Andrew's Gardens
(shown here) probably mark the spot. The church was built in 1860, over two
decades after its near neighbour, Holy Trinity (see above), but it was destroyed
in the Blitz. In 1959 the parish was united to that of St George the Martyr
Regent Square United Reformed Church is at the
south-east corner of Tavistock Place and Wakefield Street. It opened as
Regent Square Presbyterian Church in 1827 to serve Scots in London
at a time when the site was surrounded by open fields. In 1843 a rift
caused the Free Church of Scotland to be formed and the Gothic church lost
many members. It was destroyed by a V2 rocket in 1945, and the present
building opened in 1966. By 2010 it was named Lumen URC.
St Peter Regent Square stood at the
north-east corner of Regent Square, just a few metres east of the
location of Regent Square Presbyterian Church (above). The church
was built in 1826, and gained a district chapelry in 1851. This was
converted into a separate parish in 1868, but the church was destroyed
during the Blitz and not rebuilt. Its parish was united to Holy Cross
(below) in 1954. The modern block of flats shown here stands in part
over the site of the church.
Holy Cross Cromer Street stands on the southern
side of Cromer Street, opposite the entrance to Tonbridge Street. The
brown-brick church was built between 1887-1888 to the designs of the
architect Joseph Peacock in the traditions of the Oxford movement which
brought fresh life and vigour to the Church of England. Successive priests
have kept alive the Anglo-Catholic traditions here, and in 1954 it gained
the parish of St Peter's Regent Square (above).
King's Cross Baptist Church is at Vernon Square
on Penton Rise, at the junction with King's Cross Road. The red brick church
with stone facings was founded in 1860 as Vernon Baptist Church but
little else is known of its history. It contains a small hall (furthest from
the camera) which appears to be contemporary with the church itself, while a
new brown-brick building stands nearest to the camera. The church provides a
weekly soup kitchen for the local homeless.
St Jude Gray's Inn Road was located approximately
at the south-east corner of Gray's Inn Road and Swinton Street. The church
was built in 1847 and gained a parish of its own in 1863. As the population
of central London dwindled between the wars, the church was found to be excess
to requirements and was closed in 1935. It was demolished the following year
and the parish was united to that of Holy Cross (see above). That church also
gained some of the fixtures and fittings.
King's Cross Methodist Church has entrances both
on Birkenhead Street for the hall at the rear of the building and Crestfield
Street for the church itself (shown here), immediately south of the Euston
Road. The church is heavily involved with the Chinese community, providing
services in Mandarin and Cantonese. With its sister church at Hinde Street,
this forms the West London Mission. On 12 September 2009 fire broke out in
the English Chapel, which was then repaired.
St Luke Euston Road sat just behind the hospital
which stood where St Pancras Station hotel now is, on the northern side of
the Euston Road in the St Pancras district. The area was one of notorious
slums which crossed the covered River Fleet. The church was built perhaps
in 1850, but the site was chosen for the Midland Railway's new terminus,
so it was dismantled in 1868 and rebuilt as Wanstead Congregational Church.
Christ Church Chalton Street replaced it locally.