The latest web browsers are making it impossible to avoid
providing a fully secure website, but unfortunately that costs. The History Files
is a non-profit site and hosting fees are also an issue, so we need your help.
Please click anywhere inside this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that
we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully secure
site. If every visitor donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs
in a day! Your support is highly appreciated.
Target for 2019: £0£75
Gallery: Churches of Cornwall
by Jo Lewis, 11 September 2018
Carrick Part 10: Churches of Portscatho to
Portscatho Methodist Chapel is at the
eastern end of The Lugger in Portscatho. A chapel was built by
William Billing in 1813. The congregation increased, so the
current chapel was built in 1822. When Billing died in November
1839 his grieving congregation buried him beneath his pulpit. The
chapel prospered and was again expanded in 1867. Now part of the
United Reformed Church, Gerren's Methodist congregation has joined
it to form Portscatho United Church.
Trewithian (Methodist) Chapel is long lost.
It sits on a map of 1888 in Trewithian, set back on the right-hand
side of the modern A3078 road approximately sixty metres to the east
of the junction with the Gerrans road. Records indicate the presence
of a Wesleyan chapel at Trewithian, but with no additional information.
There are newer houses on the site now (2018) with no obvious clue
that one of them may be a converted chapel.
Treworlas Wesleyan Chapel is on the
left-hand side of the lane leading through Treworlas itself, to
the immediate west of the A3078 road. The building was erected as
a Wesleyan chapel in 1816. This and Philleigh Lemon Chapel were
amalgamated in 1882, their premises sold, and a new Philleigh
Wesleyan chapel was built at White Lanes. Philleigh's archived
papers include Treworlas Chapel's trust accounts, dated between
1869-1882. This building is now a private home.
St Symphorium is set far back on the
eastern side of central Veryan. Since the thirteenth century the
church's dedication has been for this French martyr, but at least
one Celtic cross suggests a Dumnonian origin for worship here.
There are some Norman features which may have been acquired in the
1830s from the ruined chapel of St Nun in Grampound. In 1897/8 the
church was restored again. Later additions include the refurbishment
of the Lady Chapel in 1935.
The now-ruined Ebenezer Chapel of Veryan
Green lies to the north of the village itself, roughly six or seven
hundred metres north on the road to Bessy Beneath. The chapel's
tended ruins and overgrowth sit in a field to the left of the road
(50° 13' 40" N 4° 54' 54" W). This Bible Christian Chapel
is clearly marked on old OS maps. There is a record of a collection
in 1837 and the chapel is still listed in 1901, but there is also a
record of it being sold in 1955-1957.
From the northern end of Veryan Green, follow
Green Lane north-eastwards to the next junction about 250 metres
away, then head south to the left-hand junction for Trewartha -
Trewartha Wesleyan Chapel lies on the right of this junction,
down a small lane that's offset from the junction by about ten metres.
The chapel became known as Trewartha Methodist Church in 1932,
but it was closed down and the premises sold for private business use