The former Philleigh (Wesleyan) Old Chapel
lies on the outskirts the village, on the right-hand side in the King
Harry Ferry direction. It is also known as Lemon Chapel (Old
Chapel) in deeds from the Lemon Family in 1838, but was sold on
7 June 1882. Maps show a small Methodist chapel here which was no
longer marked by 1908. It combined with Treworlas Chapel, moving
to the new White Lanes Chapel. The building is now the semi-detached
Lemon Chapel cottage.
The former site of the Old Chapel can be
found in Chapel Wood, close to King Harry Ferry. From the crossing
on the Roseland side take the first signposted left turn to Tolverne
Cottage. As the road heads into the woods there is a faint track
into the woods which is where the chapel is on old maps, not far
from a natural spring there. This could be the 'Chapel of St
Mary and King Henry' of 1528, built to commemorate the
Lancastrian King Henry VI who was murdered in 1471.
Along with its equally lost house, the site
of Rosecassa Old Chapel can be reached by taking the road
up the hill from King Harry Ferry (Roseland side), and bearing
sharp right at the bend. Then turn right and the track down to
Roscassa is on the right. The chapel was at the end of this lane.
Roscassa House (the origins of the present farm) belonged to a Mr
Barton, with chapel attached. There may also have been a burial
ground, with bones being excavated in 1762.
St Just (Wesleyan) Methodist Chapel is on
Chapel Terrace, on the left-hand side of the B3289 on the northern
outskirts of St Just Lane (also known as the 'Lane') when heading
there from King Harry Ferry Road. The chapel was built by the
Wesleyans in 1817, along with a Sunday School. The chapel then
became St Just in Roseland Methodist Church in 1932 at the
Methodist union. The chapel was closed in 1992 and was later
converted into a private dwelling.
St Just in Roseland Old Chapel was sited in
St Just Lane, opposite the modern B3289/A3078 junction (shown here,
overlooking the old site). There are several references to an old
chapel in this parish at 'Lane', and there is no other Lane in this
area. A map of 1888 pinpoints the chapel here, as does another of
1892-1905. The same site may originally have served as a chapel of
ease, with human bones dug up from the site and an adjoining field
called Chapel Close.
The beautiful Grade 1 listed St Just in
Roseland, perches on the edge of a tidal creek, beside the
Carrick Roads on the Fal Estuary, just outside the main village
of St Just in Roseland. The church was founded in AD 550 in honour
of St Just the Martyr, probably not much more than a wooden cross
under a sacred tree. The current church building dates to the
thirteen century. It was consecrated in 1216 and restored in 1872.
New pews and the pulpit and reredos were provided.