History Files
 

 

Modern Britain

Gallery: Churches of Warwickshire

by Peter Kessler, 18 April 2010

 

 

South Warwickshire Part 40: Churches of Hampton Lucy to Wasperton

St Peter's Church

St Peter's Church, Hampton Lucy, is situated on the eastern side of Church Street, at the junction with Stratford Road. The church sits on the site of an ancient Mercian minster dating from the eighth century. It was part of the estate of the bishops of Worcester who had a magnificent Saxon royal palace here during the eighth and ninth centuries. The site covered some five to eight acres and is close to the Lucy family estate at Charlecote Park.

St Peter's Church

The medieval church was probably built in the thirteenth century. It stood 'not exactly on the same site' as the present building, and was completely demolished in 1826 to make way for the present church, which is one of the earliest and best examples of Gothic revival in England. It was built to a design by T Rickman who was the first architect to provide a systematic treatise on Gothic architecture in England, first published in 1817, and a document so important it is still in use.

St Peter's Church

In 1856, the polygonal apse (at the east end) was added by Sir Gilbert Scott who restored and extended many great churches including Ely Cathedral and Westminster Abbey. The great east window, depicting the life of St Peter, was described in the nineteenth century as 'the most magnificent window in stained glass that has been produced in modern times'.There is one bell dated to 1826, although the old church had six bells in 1750.

All photos on this page contributed by Aidan McRae Thomson.

In Depth
In Depth
 

 

     
Copyright
Images and text copyright all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.