TheWestgate Church lies on
Westgate, near the junction with Cromwell Road. The Methodist
congregation here was founded in 1776-1777 by the Reverend Craddock Glascott, chaplain to the
countess of Huntingdon. They first
worshipped in his Westgate Lodgings, but in 1780 a small chapel was
erected on Wood Street, off Westgate. However, following much
persecution and abuse the chapel closed in 1797. It reopened in
1804, and very soon a larger building was needed.
Land was bought opposite the chapel in Westgate.
In 1859 the present building was opened as a Congregational
church. In January 1891 the church was destroyed by fire, but
quickly rebuilt and reopened that July. In 1972 it became the
United Reformed Church and then merged in 1978 with Wentworth
St Methodist Church to form a United Church. It was damaged again
by fire in 1984, repaired once again, and now shares an alternating URC and Methodist ministry.
St Paul's Church faces onto Bourges
Boulevard and Lincoln Road in the New England area of the city. Its
parish only came into existence with the advent of the railways in
the nineteenth century, and the Victorian church building was
completed in 1869, along with bell tower and single bell. A church
hall was added alongside it in 1905 and still retains the style and
decor of a traditional church hall. The church bell fell silent in
1969 when the ropes snapped.
In April 2002 an investigation was carried out to
discover the source of the water leak onto the centre of the nave.
It was soon discovered that the combined cross and weathervane was
loose in its wooden mounting and needed to be removed. Better news
arrived in 2009 when the bell could finally be heard once more. In
the churchyard, what was thought to be a worn, sandstone gravestone
was discovered to be the parish's long-forgotten war memorial.
The Salvation Army Church & Community Centre
lies opposite St Paul's. The Army came to Peterborough on 21 April
1883, but meetings were met by vocal, violent opposition which
included egg and refuse throwing, with broken chairs being thrown
across the stage. Even as late as 1917 hooligans would follow the
marches, calling out insults, and the police would sometimes warn
the Army not to sing on the streets. Now, they have a new citadel
that opened in May 1985.
The New Testament Church of God is at 641
Lincoln Road in New England, just 120 metres north of St
Paul's. While the Pentecostal roots of the New Testament Church date
back to 1886 in Tennessee in the USA, the Victorian chapel in which
they now worship was probably built around the same time, although
the nature of its nonconformist congregation cannot be discovered.
It now forms one of ninety-eight New Testament churches and seven
missions in the UK.
Sacred Heart & St Oswald's Parish Catholic
Church is at 933 Lincoln Road, just north of the Stoke Parkway
roundabout at Walton, on the corner of Paston Lane. The church was
founded on 19 July 1959, and celebrated its fiftieth anniversary in
2009. It is named for King Oswald of Bernicia (later Northumbria,
633-641) who not only killed the penultimate Welsh High King of all
Britain but greatly strengthened the presence of the church in his
kingdom during his lifetime.
The Church of St John the Baptist is on Church
Street in Werrington Village, on the northern outskirts of Peterborough.
It is an ancient site with a name that probably derives from 'the town
of the Varini', a British clan mentioned by the Roman historian Tacitus.
In 1013, Werrington was one of the five manors in Paston Parish that
belonged to Peterborough Abbey. In 1086 Werrington was the only one of
the surrounding hamlets to be mentioned in Domesday Book.
At this time, in 1086, Werrington appears
to have been more important than the neighbouring village of Paston.
The old bells seem to have been cast before 1300, but were removed
in 1930 and replaced by the two small bells that now sit above the
nave roof. The east window dates to 1330, the porch to 1668, and the
west wall repairs to 1680. It seems that the churchyard here was
only used from 1851, with burials before that taking place in Paston.
Emmanuel Church is a mission church for
St John the Baptist and is located at the northern end of Werrington,
all of which was developed in the last thirty-or-so years of the twentieth
century. The church's home is on Twelvetree Avenue, where it forms
part of a very modern complex of buildings that also includes
William Law Church of England Primary School. The complex was
constructed during the 1980s, and the church serves as the school's
hall during the week.