History Files History Files
 
Donate add-in
 

 

Modern Britain

Gallery: Churches of Hertfordshire

by Peter Kessler, 3 May 2009. Updated 17 January 2020

East Herts Part 1: Churches of Much Hadham & Ware

St Andrew's Church, Much Hadham, Hertfordshire

St Andrew's Church, Much Hadham (formerly Great Hadham), is outside the north-east corner of Church Lane, midway between the High Street and Winding Hill. It was built largely between 1225 and 1450, but the fifteenth century work largely replaced that of the thirteenth. The structure is of flint and stone dressings with a slate roof. Ironically, the relatively recent refurbishment of the bells required some of the old, and dilapidated, sound insulation to be removed.

St Mary's Church, Ware, Hertfordshire

The Church of St Mary, Ware, is on the corner of Church Street and High Street. It is a spacious cruciform building with a battlement bell tower which is surmounted by a spire. There is evidence that a church may have existed here prior to Domesday Book which mentions a 'priest' living in the town. The church is also mentioned in a charter given by William I to Hugh de Grentmaisnil, granting permission to found a cell of the Benedictine Abbey of St Evroul of Normandy.

St Mary's Church, Ware, Hertfordshire

The west tower of four stages was built around 1330. During the fifteenth century the church was enlarged and beautified by Margaret Beaufort, countess of Richmond and mother of Henry VII. Overall it is regarded as a fine example of fourteenth and fifteenth century Perpendicular architecture and contains many items of historic interest. It was restored in 1847-49 by George Godwin, who renewed the stonework of many of the windows, and restored again in 1886.

Two photos on this page by P L Kessler, and one kindly contributed by Adam Swaine via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group.

In Depth
In Depth
 

 

     
Copyright
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.