History Files History Files
 
Donate add-in
 

 

Modern Britain

Gallery: Churches of Central London

by Peter Kessler, 28 June 2019

 

 

City of Westminster Part 14: Churches of Marylebone

The Parish Church of St Mark Old Marylebone Road

The Parish Church of St Mark Old Marylebone Road is on the southern side of Old Marylebone Road, opposite Cabbell Street. The church was opened in 1872. It closed about 1980 and its parish was united to St Paul Rossmore Road. The building was used as Old Marylebone Road United Reformed Church and the Ivory Coast Baptist Church around 1988, with them seemingly sharing the premises. It now serves as a chapel of ease to St Mary Bryanston Square.

Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Church

Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Church sits at the south-eastern corner of Old Marylebone Road and Homer Row. The red-brick modernist church is large enough to seat eight hundred. It was opened in 1964 by Cardinal Heenan to replace an older building that was now too small for its growing congregation. As the church's parish has no schools but one of the highest concentrations of hotels, many visitors are holidaymakers.

Ulrika Eleonora Swedish Church

Ulrika Eleonora Swedish Church is at 6 Harcourt Street, on the northern side, midway along this short street. The church is part of the 'Church of Sweden Abroad', having opened its first church for the Swedish community in London in Wapping in 1728. This was replaced by the Ulrika Eleonara in 1911 which also has many fittings from the Wapping church, including altar and pulpit. The other Swedish church in London is the Seamen's Church of Rotherhithe.

St Mary Bryanston Square

St Mary Bryanston Square sits at the centre of the square, overlooking the northern side of Crawford Street - very close to Oxford Street. It was originally opened in 1824 to serve the newly-built residential areas of the West End. It was one of the 'Waterloo churches' which were paid for through a government fund that had been set up in thanks for the end of the Napoleonic Wars. It re-opened as a Grade I listed building in 2002 after undergoing renovation.

In Depth
In Depth
 

 

     
Copyright
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.