Trinity United Reformed Church is at the
north-western corner of Station Road and Gaynes Road in Upminster.
The church started when Thomas Talbot's house in Upminster was
registered for Independent worship in 1797 and 1798. Upminster
Congregational Church opened next to the house on the southern
side of St Mary's Lane in 1800. It was extended in 1819, refronted in
1847, but replaced in 1911 by the present church on a new site,
designed by T Stevens.
Branfill Road Meeting Room occupies a narrow
plot on the northern side of Branfill Road, very close to the corner
which turns into Champion Road. This meeting room was listed in 1951,
but the denomination of its registrars was not shown. The term 'meeting
room' however, suggests Brethren, of which there were plenty in the area.
Not far from here, Upminster Christadelphians were meeting in Clock
House Hall, St Mary's Lane, above the branch library, in 1958.
Upminster Methodist Church stands back from
the road on the south-eastern corner of Hall Lane and Deyncourt Gardens.
The church originated from a Wesleyan congregation in 1910 when a temporary
iron church was erected for the developing garden suburb. A permanent church,
in the Tudor Gothic style with two low corner towers, was built in 1923 and
enlarged in 1935. It was first in the Ilford circuit, but in 1947 it was
included in the new Romford circuit.
Moor Lane Church (Anglican Mission) is set back
behind its car park on the eastern side of Moor Lane, close to Fairholme
Gardens. The building was first registered as a chapel by the Brethren in
1955, but by the 1980s they had left, perhaps to join the one or more
congregations of Upminster's Brethren. The building was taken over by the
Anglican church to serve as a mission for St Luke's Church (see below) in
the Cranham Park parish to the north of Upminster.
St Luke's Church occupies a sizable plot on the
western side of Front Lane, opposite Briarleas Gardens in Cranham Park.
The church was established in the 1950s, as Cranham Park began to grow from
a tiny hamlet to an established large village (now of 13,000 residents). The
district was formed in 1957, although services were held from 1955 in a
builder's hut, and the dual-purpose building was consecrated in 1957, with
a church hall being added around 1966.
Cranham Baptist Church sits on the western side of
Severn Drive, almost opposite the northern exit of Clyde Crescent in Cranham
Park. The church was founded in 1957, coincidentally at the same time as the
Anglican church of St Luke (see above), when the area was rapidly growing up.
It originated about two years previously, also in a builder's hut, as did St
Luke's. The building was extended in 1974, with extra, attached buildings
added behind the church.
Nelmes United Reformed Church marks the entry into
Romford from Cranham Park, with the church standing at the south-western corner
of Nelmes Road and Burntwood Avenue. The church was formed in 1906 as
Hornchurch Congregational Church. Initial help was given by Romford
Congregational Church. Meetings were held in a hall in Berther Road until 1909,
when the present building was erected on a site given by Thomas Dowsett of
Emerson Park Chapel (Brethren) is at the
south-western corner of Butts Green Road and Hillview Avenue. The Brethren
had two Hornchurch meetings in 1917. One was at Billet Lane Hall,
which survived until 1958 when Emerson Park Chapel was built. The Brethren
also had meeting places at Bethany Chapel, Abbs Cross Lane, Athelstan Chapel,
Harold Wood, and Hillview Hall (below). Today Emerson Park Evangelical
Church occupies the Butts Green Road site.
Hillview Hall (Brethren) occupies a plot on the
southern side of Hillview Avenue, just a stone's throw from Emerson Park
Chapel (see above). The hall was founded in 1969, the last of a series of
Brethren halls and chapels to be created in the district, starting from the
two congregations which existed at Hornchurch in 1917. Today, many of those
halls and chapels still exist and are still in use, although not always by
congregations that are of the Brethren.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
sits behind high iron railings on the eastern side of Ardleigh Green Road
where it meets Butts Green Road, and opposite the entrance of Slewins Lane.
The church was built in 1964 on a large, wooded site, and most of the woods
still survive. The building is in white brick and timber with part of the
front wall in rock-faced brick. The detached spire is made of gilded metal
and is constructed in the shape of an arrow.