The Salvation Army Centre, East Ham, sits
on the northern side of Wakefield Road, very close to Winter Avenue.
Army work began in this area around 1900 when they took over the Holme
Road Assembly Room which previously had been used by the
Congregationalists. The Salvation Army appear to have used it until
about 1908 when they built the Wakefield Street premises, not too far
(once again) from the Congregationalist church (see links).
The former St Paul's Church, East Ham, is
on Burges Road, at the south-eastern corner of the junction with Watson
Avenue and Leigh Avenue. Despite appearing somewhat dilapidated in
2010 the church remained open at the time. The site was farmland in
the 1800s but increasing housing in the 1890s and 1900s meant the
building of a mission church here in 1908. The present permanent
building was erected in 1932-33 and extensive restoration was carried
out in 2002.
St Barnabas Parish Church Manor Park sits
on Browning Road, opposite the entrance to Shelley Avenue. It began
with an iron building in 1897. The first part of a permanent church
opened in 1900, being completed in 1906 and 1909. This was one of
the first churches designed by (Sir) Ninian Comper - using red brick
in a perpendicular style. A separate parish was formed in 1901. In
1946 the altar was brought into the nave for closer engagement with
Manor Park Christian Centre is on the
eastern side of High Street North, opposite Sherrard Road. It was
founded as Manor Park Tabernacle after its members had
formerly met in a room in Carlyle Road, then in the 'Gospel Shop',
Romford Road (1890-93), and Little Ilford Chapel (1893-98). In 1898
an iron building was erected on High Street North, and in 1906 the
present building was completed. By 2010 the Emmanuel Christian
Fellowship was meeting here.
Manor Park Congregational Church is on
High Street North, at the north-west corner with Strone Road in
Manor Park. It began as Little Ilford Church, formed in 1897
and with a small iron building on Coleridge Avenue, opposite. The
present building was completed in 1904, seating 750 with an
adjoining hall. The building work almost crippled the congregation -
only the exuberant work of its minister saved them. By 2013 it was
the Church of God UK Pentecostal Church.
Plashet Cemetery is accessed from the
western side of High Street North. It was opened in 1896 and, like
East Ham Cemetery, it is managed by the United Synagogue. Related to
the same United Synagogue was the former Upton Park District Synagogue
on Tudor Road which originated around 1920, after starting off in
temporary premises on Katherine Road. The Tudor Road building was
erected in 1923, extended in 1939, but more recently has closed
The former East Avenue Presbyterian Church
is on the northern side of East Avenue in East Ham. An iron church
was erected here in 1900, although this was quickly replaced in 1903
by the present building following the refusal of the congregation
to put up with a mission-style central hall. Halls were added in
1905. By 1909 the membership was 424, rising in the 1920s to 600.
In 1941 the church was joined by the failed Trinity Presbyterian
Church, Maryland Point.
Sibley Grove (Welsh Congregational) Church
formerly sat on the northern side of Sibley Grove, off High Street
North, with the junction with East Avenue forming a v-shape around it.
It was formed in 1901 by Congregationalists from King's Cross. In 1945
the iron building was sold to the London Welsh Methodists as Sibley
Road Welsh Methodist Church. Some members came from Cumberland Road
Gospel Hall (see links). This was later closed and the iron church
East Ham Baptist Church stands on the
southern side of Plashet Grove, opposite the entrance to Shrewsbury
Road in East Ham. A temporary iron building at the corner of Katherine
Road and Victoria Avenue a little to the south of here housed the first
congregation in 1895. The present building was completed in 1901, in a
thousand-seater sanctuary called Plashet Grove Church. Bonny
Downs Baptist Church was begun from here (see links).
Full Gospel Hall (Assemblies of God),
Plashet Grove, is at the north-eastern corner with Whitfield Road.
The building was erected on what was the former Fry Estate as the
Elizabeth Fry Memorial (Primitive Methodist) Church in 1889,
after the congregation had met since 1886 in the adjoining manse -
Newgate Villa, in allusion to Fry's prison work. At the Methodist
union of 1932 the building was excess to requirements and was sold
to the Assemblies of God.