Last year our first donation drive was a complete success,
thanks to some wonderful people who helped us gain a security certificate and meet
some of the increasing web hosting costs. This year, that certificate needs to be
renewed and another round of hosting costs need to be supplimented. As the History
Files is a non-profit site it still needs your help. Please click anywhere inside
this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that we can continue to provide
highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. If every visitor
donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs in a day! Your support
is highly appreciated.
Target for 2019: £0£130
Gallery: Churches of North London
by Peter Kessler, 3 May 2009. Updated 8 March 2013
Holy Trinity Church is on the eastern side
of Church Lane in East Finchley, with the churchyard separating the
church from Trinity Road on the other side. The church opened along
with a school in East End Road in 1846-1847, when East Finchley was
being developed from fields. It was felt necessary due to the area's
descent into a 'godless' hamlet, particularly with the boxing at the
Five Bells Public House. The designs were supplied by the young architect
Before the church's opening, the poorer members
of the community had to walk to St Mary's in Church End. It was the
building's siting that caused the former Bull Lane to be renamed Church
Lane, despite local resistance. The church, built of stone in the Early
English style and consisting of chancel, nave, and west turret, was
extended in 1860 and 1866 and the church hall (now a Hindu temple) was
built in 1913. It lost parts of the parish to All Saints (1900) and
St Jude (1932).
East Finchley Presbyterian Mission Hall stood
on Brackenbury Road, probably on the eastern side, where Longfield Court
now stands (shown here). A Presbyterian mission started in Hamilton Road
in 1898, moved to an iron hall on Brackenbury Road in 1899, and closed
between 1939 and 1949. The former King Street Wesleyan Chapel, just
the other side of the railway, was also used as a Presbyterian hall from
about 1930 until about 1939. No sign of it now remains.
East Finchley Cemetery Chapel stands within the
grounds of the cemetery, on the northern side, which opens onto East End
Road, opposite Thomas Moore Way in East Finchley. The chapel is one of two
in the cemetery which was originally known as St Marylebone Cemetery
(until the beginning of the twenty-first century) after the burial board there
purchased 47 acres of Newmarket Farm in 1854. The facilities are now owned
and managed by the City of Westminster.
Nazareth House Convent Chapel stands at the
south-east corner of East End Road and Heath View. The Poor Sisters of
Nazareth moved in 1921 from Chiswick to the large house on this site, where
they cared for children and the aged. Extensions were built in 1928 and
1936, a new nursery was added in 1963, and the last children left Nazareth
House in 1974. Mass, which is often attended by outsiders, has been
celebrated in the convent chapel since 1921.
East Finchley Congregational Church stood at
the north-west corner of East Finchley High Road (on the right in this
photo) and East End Road (to the left). The church originated in meetings
of Independents, encouraged by the Hoxton Itinerant Society, in various
buildings in the Hogmarket, East End, from 1804. A chapel was built on the
edge of Finchley Common, facing the Great North Road, in 1830 and enlarged
in 1846, but this was largely destroyed by fire in 1875.
The site on the corner of East End Road was used for a
new Gothic church, designed by J Tarring & Son. The completed building
measured forty metres (130 feet) from the ground to the tip of the spire.
The old chapel was sold to St Mary's Catholic Church. During local
redevelopment work in 1965, the building was demolished and replaced by
Viceroy Parade. A smaller chapel was opened in 1970, and survived until
after 1974 as East Finchley United Reformed Church.
East Finchley Primitive Methodist Chapel
is at No 142, on the eastern side of the High Road, midway between
the Huntingdon Road and Leicester Road junctions. Primitive Methodists
registered a building at Finchley Common between 1854-1866, and then
a chapel in East End Road in 1872. The present building was opened in
1905, but it closed between 1939-1949. The building is now home both
to Finchley Youth Theatre and the Finchley Christian Fellowship.
All Saints Parish Church East Finchley
is on the eastern side of Durham Road, on the eastern border with
Muswell Hill. The Perpendicular church was built in 1891 with stone
dressings to a design by J E K and J P Cutts. In 1900 it gained its
own parish from Holy Trinity East Finchley (above) and St James Muswell
Hill, serving the local community between Southern Road and Viaduct
Road, and from the High Road over to Eastern Road. In 1903 it had a
Sunday attendance of 500.
The church consists of clerestoried nave, aisles, south
chapel, north-east organ chamber, and western narthex. The chancel was added
in 1912. High Church fittings in 1977 included a rood and stations of the
cross. An adjacent hall was built in the 1930s. As well as serving its
parishioners, this large church has also been a regular London recording venue
for many years. The seating is removable to create a large recording area for
orchestras, choirs, and chamber music.
Nine photos on this page by P L Kessler and one by
Barnet Library Services. Additional information by Tony Batchelor.