Suffolks Baptist Church occupies a plot on
the northern side of Carterhatch Lane in Enfield, immediately east of
the junction with the Great Cambridge Road at Southbury. The church
originated in a Sunday school started in 1934 by Enfield Baptist
Church to serve the new housing estates of eastern Enfield. Land in
Carterhatch Lane was purchased in 1938 and the church, a plain brick
structure with seating for 250 behind a small and decorative garden,
was built in 1957.
Enfield Cemetery Chapel is hidden away
on the southern side of Carterhatch Lane, opposite Layard Road and
behind high walls and houses. This Jewish cemetery is more formally
known as the Adath Yisroel Cemetery, which is run by the
Adath Yisroel Synagogue & Burial Society, Union of Orthodox
Hebrew Congregations, which is based in Stamford Hill, Hackney. It
was opened in the 1920s, along with a sister site in Cheshunt,
Hertfordshire. Both remain active.
Beacon of Light Christian Spiritualist Church
sits on the north-west corner of Carterhatch Lane and Layard Road in
the Forty Hill district of Enfield. The church, at 331 Carterhatch Lane,
was registered in 1949 and remains in use today. It consists of a simple
square, plain red brick frontage with wooden doors which open onto a small
hall with a peaked roof (the edge of which can be seen on the right-hand
side of this photo). A small, well-tended garden completes the picture.
Jesus Church Forty Hill is on the eastern side
of Forty Hill, midway between Goat Lane and Turkey Street. The church
was built in 1835 and gained a perpetual curacy in 1845, with a district
formed out of the parish of St Andrew's, Enfield. The church, designed by
Thomas Ashwell in imitation of Holy Trinity, Tottenham, is a plain aisled
grey-brick building with lancet windows and turrets at the west end. A
south-east vestry was added in 1889 and a chancel in 1926.
Enfield Crematorium Columbarium lies at the
southern end of the cemetery's central complex, while the crematorium
itself lies on the eastern side of the Great Cambridge Road, approximately
three hundred metres (yards) south of the junction with Turkey Street.
Although in Enfield, the crematorium is managed by the Borough of Haringey.
It was opened in 1938, with two plan red brick chapels (North and South)
built into the main complex (on the far left of the photo).
St John Methodist Church is on the northern
side of Yews Avenue on the edge of the Elsinge Estate where it abuts
the eastern side of the Great Cambridge Road. In 1954, a wooden hut
was erected on this piece of ground, becoming known as 'The Hut'. This
served for five years before the present brick church was erected in
1959-1960 as a dual-purpose building. The congregation grew from there,
and various local community groups now also meet in the church.
Turkey Street Mission (London City Mission)
occupies the north-east corner of Turkey Street and Elsinge Road in the
Turkey Street district of Enfield. The London City Mission held services
in Baker Street in 1873, and in 1955 the mission registered the plain
brick hall in this photo. By 2010 the brick hall had been abandoned and
a wooden Scouts hut at the south-western side of the junction between
Turkey Street and Dendridge Close was its replacement.
Albany Church lies on the eastern side of
the Hertford Road, immediately north of Connop Road in the Enfield
Lock district. In the 1890s a small group of Brethren began meeting
in a small house near Enfield Lock railway station. This house had
once belonged to a butcher and was known as the 'Slaughter House'.
Albany Hall, a music hall at the top of Albany Road, was acquired as
a replacement before the present, now-Evangelical hall opened in
St George's Church Enfield Wash, Freezywater,
Enfield, is on the western side of the Hertford Road, midway between the
junctions for Putney and Totteridge roads. In 1898 there was an iron church
in the Hertford Road which was still in use as a hall in 1973. Construction
of the present church took place in 1900-1906 and an ecclesiastical district,
taken from the parishes of Jesus Church, Forty Hill (above), and St James,
Enfield Highway, was annexed to the church in 1901.
In 1908 the living was described as a vicarage, in the
gift of the bishop of London. The church is a large, gaunt, red-brick
building in the early Gothic style, designed by J E K and J P Cutts. It
contains an aisled nave and chancel and the base of a south-west tower
which was not completed. St Giles Mission Church, Bullsmoor Lane,
a little to the north, was built in 1954. Still in use in 1971, the plain
brick building with a wooden bell turret had been cleared away by 2010.
One photo on this page kindly contributed by M Kessler.
Additional information by Ian Sawyer.